2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

stevieturbo

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by stevieturbo »

Tim's rotary numbered dial is much better than the silver knob.

As for LINBus...which I have no clue what it is lol....I'd doubt the Focus RS is that which is a fairly old car ?

I know a good few years ago a friend had a crappy old Autronic installed on his and it worked fine. Havent a clue how they installed it etc though.

IMO, find a local alternator repair place and they could probably advise what the connections do ?
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Yeh I thought about it some more and although the silver ones looks better imo , the numbered one is probably much more practical !

Yeh I've been asking a few rs owners and the are all the same as what I though , smart charged unplugged it defaults to charging at 14.7v which will be fine
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I can probably get a similar knob, in clear anodised aluminium, that uses the same numbered pointer accessories. Had a quick look and there's a 28mm diameter version, but out of stock from the usual supplier. If this appeals, let me know and I'll see if I can find some stock somewhere.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Well after a few long nights it starts!

Slight issue with the cam signal being very weak , not sure why , crank is fine

Also my stack temp sensors arnt going to work , they wont start reading untill 13oC so just going to swap them out for syvecs frendly ones ! do they come in 1/8npt as i can only see m10?

but yeh big thanks to gaz at GR Performance for remote setting up the ECU and calibrating the sensors , happy days!

PLEX dash turned up , iv only powered it up , do i have to use both CAN and RS232 connector or can i get away with just one ?
il prob go check out the manuals !

big thanks to you stevie for the help , would of been alot harder if i was just left to it on my own! learnt alot thats for sure !
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote:Well after a few long nights it starts!

Slight issue with the cam signal being very weak , not sure why , crank is fine

Also my stack temp sensors arnt going to work , they wont start reading untill 13oC so just going to swap them out for syvecs frendly ones ! do they come in 1/8npt as i can only see m10?

but yeh big thanks to gaz at GR Performance for remote setting up the ECU and calibrating the sensors , happy days!

PLEX dash turned up , iv only powered it up , do i have to use both CAN and RS232 connector or can i get away with just one ?
il prob go check out the manuals !

big thanks to you stevie for the help , would of been alot harder if i was just left to it on my own! learnt alot thats for sure !
If you have a calibration for the stack senders...I dont see why they wouldnt work.

Syvecs can be set to use a huge range of sensors...really up to you to find what might fit or screw in etc.

Pull up a syncscope showing crank/cam signal.

And Plex dash only requires CAN ( and power of course lol )

if it's coolant temp you need ( or any fluid temp ) the Bosch Motorsport NTC works fine and is very cheap. It's M12x1.5 so you should be able to tap out your housing ok assuming it's thick enough to screw one into.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/media/ca ... 739pdf.pdf

The same part number is fitted to a lot of cars so the sensor is dead cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-0280130 ... xy039TMwRp
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

ok dokie so im offshore so havnt been near the car but have been buying bits and bobs to get this ecu 100% happy

after a few messages to TimH , iv decided to bite the bullet and just tap out the sensor holes , when the Bosch Motorsport sensors can be had so cheap i was struggling to justify the extra money for a 1/8npt one , this way i can get them cheap and hopefully local if im at a race and something go's wrong with one!

Sorry tim if you felt like iv wasted your time ! i will be in contact for a CAL switch probably on Monday and possibly a air temp sensor as well

so ordered a few of them, also ordered a GM 3 Bar map sensor as mine was only 2.5 which tbh probable would of done but i wanted that little bit extra just to grow should i need to!

few things iv over looked was engine fan ! gaz at GR noticed that! , so found its pin on the ECU and along with the clutch pressure switch il get them wired in when im home.

now i think this is the last question for the ECU! fuel level , i totally forgot about that! the ford ecu doesn't see the level at all so is probably why i missed it on the ECU pin out but it is wired directly into the dash , iv got the reading for it 16 - 160 ohms, but iv no idea what pin to wire it into ? Resistive Voltage Bipolar Unipolar ? (my lack of knowledge shining bright i bet lol) I assume its resistive ? iv did some reading and it looks like il prob need a pull up ? not 100% sure what that means ether if im honest! sods law i never thought it out and im left with few inputs

I have pins 37 38 60 , soooo pin 60 is my thinking due to this statement - Unipolar inputs are not just limited to the above they can also be used for any sensors which outputs 0-5volts. They are also able to provide a Pull-up through Scal.

would of been easier if i thought about it before i bought the plex dash with out the inputs and could of had it direct in to it lol!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Fuel level is not needed.

Well unless your dash has no gauge and you now want the ecu to drive a gauge or something ? But you will not easily be able to wire the fuel sender to two devices. ie the gauge and ecu.

Clutch pressure sensor...the Ford even has one ? Either way, not needed. But if you have spare inputs, can do no harm to have.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

the plex dash has it listed as one of its displays for the syvecs, but it cant have direct inputs sadly :( so it has to go through the ECU , since the car is still road legal it would be mega handy to have the fuel level

i thought the clutch pressure sensor would be needed for flat foot gear changes ? Was hoping to have that enabled
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

hang on it might be able to ! lol not 100% sure but it might!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote:the plex dash has it listed as one of its displays for the syvecs, but it cant have direct inputs sadly :( so it has to go through the ECU , since the car is still road legal it would be mega handy to have the fuel level

i thought the clutch pressure sensor would be needed for flat foot gear changes ? Was hoping to have that enabled
The Plex dash has 2 analogue inputs that could be used for fuel level if you wanted.

If he has no dash cluster at all..ie no OEM gauge, then there should be no issue feeding the fuel level into a Bipolar input with the pullup turned on.

But OEM analogue gauges and dash are nice for a road car. Use the Plex as a secondary display.