Bosch LSU Wideband Sensors

Dan

Bosch LSU Wideband Sensors

Post by Dan »

Helo everyone,

This is my first post so it might as well be a technical one :)

I understand that only NTK sensors are supported right now but LSU integration is being looked into.

I have three different wideband systems in various cars and I would like the Solaris to control its own dedicated sensor in one of those cars (Supra). I would ideally like the Solaris' sensor to be the same as one of my other systems (and eventually I would like to swap out and recalibrate them all to use the same sensor to make life easier with spares etc)

One is an AEM system which I'm sure is a Bosch LSU but I'm not sure exactly what type yet. The other sensors I have installed are a LSU 4.0 which is a Bosch 0258 006 066 (cheapest) and an LSU 4.2 Bosch 0258 007 057 (more expensive).

Can anyone tell me what sort of LSU sensor is being worked on for the Solaris (4.0 4.2 4.9) and give me any potential release dates for the necessary firmware....I'd like to be up and running and ready for mapping by the end of may :)

Cheers
Dan
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: Bosch LSU Wideband Sensors

Post by pat »

Dan,

The S6 has hardware support for the Bosch LSU sensors, but the drive strategy for an LSU is somewhat more complex than that for the NTK. Specifically, they are somewhat more temperature dependant than the NTK. It is already possible to use an LSU sensor, the heater strategy in the S6 allows the heater drive to be adjusted as a function of rpm and throttle position, and this goes some way toward stabilising the sensor temperature, but it still isn't as good as the NTK which is why we don't recommend it. If you want to use it for close-to-stoich control on cruise then an LSU would do fine right now, if you want to target particular lambda values on boost then I'de recommend using either an NTK or using something like an LC-1 for the moment, you can feed the 0-5v output into any spare input and put in a linearisation for it, wideband signals don't HAVE to go into the UEGO pins!

As for timescales for the LSU support, and indeed the type of sensor, it is most likely that we'll go for the 057 sensor, it's a bit better than the 066, not horrendously expensive and will work almost as well as an NTK, a reasonable compromise, however I'm not going to make any promises regarding timescale, it is a high priority but it's not trivial and there are also other higher priority things that need doing too.

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Thank you for the thorough explanation Pat - much appreciated.

Can you give me a part number for any particular NTK sensors so I can have a hunt around for anything (for sensible £££) to suit the Solaris as it is.

The car does already have an AEM wideband unit installed so I can always fall back on that 0-5V output for Ryan to use if the NTK seems like an uneconomical purchase. That may be a sensible start and then when the LSU 4.2 support is up and running I could drop a Bosch 7057 into the downpipe and run that from the Solaris if that would offer anything in terms of long term afr adjustment if I remove the AEM unit....I'll probably chew that over with Ryan and see what he thinks.
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Go for a wideband wired directly to the ECU on the wideband input otherwise you will lose an input for the 0-5v input from the controller.

It also does away with the need for the external AEM controller, this is how mine is setup and is a much neater solution.
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
Dan

Post by Dan »

That is what I would like to do Wez but I don't especially want to spend £100+ on an NTK sensor when I already have three different Bosch wideband sensors in different cars. If the S6 could control a Bosch 7057 then I would plumb it straight in. Looking ahead - I would like each vehicle to have the same wideband to give me quick swap out options if one failed or I need to swap them around for some reason. Unfortunately (for the Solaris Supra install) that means a Bosch 7057 or maybe even a 6066 sensor.
jezzpalmer

Post by jezzpalmer »

Dan wrote:That is what I would like to do Wez but I don't especially want to spend £100+ on an NTK sensor when I already have three different Bosch wideband sensors in different cars. If the S6 could control a Bosch 7057 then I would plumb it straight in. Looking ahead - I would like each vehicle to have the same wideband to give me quick swap out options if one failed or I need to swap them around for some reason. Unfortunately (for the Solaris Supra install) that means a Bosch 7057 or maybe even a 6066 sensor.

I'm using my techedge controller's 0-5v output for now, then once Pat has worked his magic I will wire in one of the three 057's I have to free up the 0-5v input.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

These guys sell the NTK at a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/mwide.htm
Charlie
Syvecs Staff- Tea Boy

Post by Charlie »

A quick update chaps.

Getting the LSU interface working is at the top of our importance list and is being worked on.

Cheers,

Charlie
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hi again guys.

I just wanted to check back in on this subject as I'm starting my install in about 10 days. Is the NTK still the only sensor that can be used if I want it driven by the Solaris and without using up a 0-5v input? Is the code for an LSU 4.2 sorted yet or shall I go buy an NTK? :D

Thanks
Dan
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Hiya Dan!

At present the only supported wideband sensor for direct connection is the NTK, so if you don't want to tie up one of the other analogue inputs with an external LSU controller then you should go with the NTK sensor.

Hope this helps,

Pat.