EJ20K / SPEC C WIRING

For Subaru Technical Chat
secure

EJ20K / SPEC C WIRING

Post by secure »

For those looking to merge MY98 classic wrx harness to spec c newage harness. I couldn't find any source on the internet and thats why I'm sharing it.
I've checked it twice and third or more but use it your own risk.

ej20k

jdm ej207 spec c

Attachments
MERGE.xlsx
(22.27 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
secure

Re: EJ20K / SPEC C WIRING

Post by secure »

Btw, I couldn't addressed classic B20 socket pin; 3, 6, 7(brown,red,blue). Not sure what are they..Not a chasiss ground either.
Also LAVCS means avcs sensor is located on cylinder #1,#3 RAVCS means #2,#4
Factory manuals may be different.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Pins 3/6/7 are the cable screens for the cam/crank/knock sensors (in that order). On the classic, these are "wired through" the connector and continue in the vehicle loom back to the earthing block at the ECU.

On the newage engine loom, the same cable screens are connected to the inlet manifold earthing bolt.

So, basically, don't worry about them for this conversion.
secure

Post by secure »

Thanks Tim.

Also not sure about the F60 connectors. Which is 12v which is ground?

SPEC C F60 connector pin 1 & 2
EJ20K F60 1 & 2 (pin 2 shares idle and purge)

I'm planning to move IGN wires from AUX 3-4-5-6 and use oem F60 pin 1 & 2 12v and gnd.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I would check the manuals, I cant remember off the top of my head but think the last 4 pins are the grounds. Manuals should be available from the sticky on Scoobynet that I emailed you the link to recently.

The connectors have separate power pins for coil power and injector power, then for "misc" such as the purge solenoid - I would stick with their intended functions; if nothing else, the fusing then remains correct!
secure

Post by secure »

I've 10 gb of automotive workshop manuals but none of them is 1998 Subaru Impreza Wrx. They are mostly showing MY97 and not %100 identical. Hopefully I've the ECU pinouts.

Anyway here is what manual shows. Colors are different but the pins are true.

ECU> Ignitor > B100 > F61 >Ignition coil.

Pin F61: 4-5-7 is IGN related but which GND, which is 12V? It looks like from the manual if I delete ignitor i wouldn't find any ignition related wire at F61 connector.

TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Follow "E" back to the other pages and you'll find which 12V it goes to.

Ground is on (2) that you can trace back, but it is in the wrong place for the newage coils...and the newage loom takes the grounds back to the manifold so no issues there.

97 and 98 are same as far as I know - never had to wire them differently. Wire colours may be different between the two years and UK/JDM/etc and some other minor changes (marked on diagrams as with and without immobiliser), but the functions are all the same.

You need to bypass the ignitor by bridging it through so the 2 coil triggers pass through. This will retain the wasted spark setup - if you want to go to individual triggers then easiest to wire all 4 triggers back to the ECU on new wiring.
secure

Post by secure »

Ok I think i come across to an end. There are still dark spots on my wiring.

I have changed B20 connector to new style connector. (I couldnt source b20 male) AVCS sensor shielded wires goes to ECU from this connector.

I have changed map sensor connector to use flex fuel sensor.

I have used oem ign 1-2 wire and ign 3-4 wire as map signal and intake signal for newage. I just swapped wires from ECU and F60 connector as well.

I have also added 4 new ignition and 4 avcs wires(+shotkky). Ignition wires to AUX 1-2-3-4 and avcs wires to Fuel 6 and Fuel 5. I'm not sure if FUEL 8 (idle -) is spare or not. I'm planning to wire dccd to fuel 8.

Dark spots are on the F60 connector. I'm not sure if i wire up pins 13-14-15-16 / 1-2-3-4 in a correct order.
Since i didnt install the engine yet I can not trace those wires. I guess pin 1 is ign 12v / pin 4 inj 12v / pin 2 idle and purge 12v and pin3 is purge gnd. pin 13-14-15-16 looks all looks like gnd but not sure about the order.

So at that moment I am wondering about my Syvecs :roll:
secure

Post by secure »

and some narrow place :)

stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I wouldnt worry too much about cylinder order.

Yes it would be nice to get it all as you hope first time.

But it's very easy to test and configure each cylinder output to any pin in the software to ensure cylinder firing order etc is correct as installed.