Syvecs iPhone / iPad App - Classic

For support and updates on the Syvecs Bluetooth module

Moderator: Wez

Tuscan_John

Re: Syvecs iPhone / iPad App Chat

Post by Tuscan_John »

Wez wrote:The iOS 9 issues are now resolved, I have tested on my iPad Mini running 9.0.2 and all is working, also added full orientation support and fixed a couple of other little bugs I found.

I have submitted to Apple and just waiting for them to check and release the new version for the App Store, iOS 8 devices are still supported by this version too.
Hi Wez, I have updated to the new version of the app. Sadly, it still doesn't run on my iPhone 5, nor on my iPhone 6S, both of which have IOS 9.0.2. I have also loaded it onto my first generation iPad mini, which is also running IOS 9.0.2, where it runs fine (as you promised it would) so it looks like this might be an iPhone specific problem. I don't have enough space to us an iPad mini in my car, so would really appreciate getting it running on my iPhone again.
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Re: Syvecs iPhone / iPad App - Classic

Post by Wez »

I will look into this, I have an iPhone 5 here but will have to upgrade to iOS 9 first.

Once tested I will post my findings / fix in here.

Thanks for the heads up.
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

I have been able to recreate the issue with a iPhone 5C running iOS 9.0.2.

Will advise here once I have a fix and have sent an update to Apple.
Tuscan_John

Post by Tuscan_John »

Thanks
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

I have upgraded both my iPad Mini and iPhone 5c to iOS 9.1 and found that everything is working again with Syvecs release v2.1.8 available from AppStore.

Whatever Apple had broken in iOS 9.0.2 they appear to have fixed, anyone still having issues please get back to me.
Tuscan_John

Post by Tuscan_John »

Hi Wez,

I am again experiencing problems running the Syvecs app on my iPhone 6S with both IOS 9.2.1 and also 9.3. I think it's the same problem as with 9.0.2 which seemed fixed by 9.1

Sometimes when I start the app having already connected to the Bluetooth module it will operate for a period of 5 to 10 minutes before freezing completely (or at least updating very infrequently), and sometimes it freezes as soon as the app starts.

Still works fine on my iPad mini running IOS 9.2.1

Could you please look into it and see whether it's possible to fix. I can't use the iPad instead of my phone as there's nowhere to locate it in the car.

BTW - the latest update which disabled the screen idle timer was perfect, thank you.

Thanks,

John
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Hello John,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am wondering if this is the app freezing or if the bluetooth datastream is interrupted and therefore no new data is available for updates, I think it might be worthwhile me updating the app so that like the android version the online status LED blinks with reception of valid / processed packets, this would give a clear indication that data is being received and processed.

Does the app still respond to your input?

If you are using the output functions do these still operate correctly?

It would also be useful to know which RS232 transmit frequency limit you are using, can you check in sCal under datastream / custom CAN.

Thanks
Tuscan_John

Post by Tuscan_John »

Hi Wez,

Starting at the end of your post, from sCal:
Datastreams/custom can/rs232 transmit frequency limit per frame = 5 Hz

I don't use the Bluetooth module to control the output functions as, sadly, I already had rotary switches fitted before the module became available. When I next use the car, I will see whether I can navigate to the other screens when the dash screen seems frozen, and let you know.

What I have noticed is that when the dash screen is apparently frozen, and I switch off the engine (killing power to the ECU and Bluetooth module), then the app immediately reports (via a pop up dialogue) that it has lost the Bluetooth connect, so the app seems to think it is connected.

This might be my imagination but even when it does work, the fluidity of each gauge seems less than the iPad mini. In other words, the iPad mini seems very smooth, whereas it is almost as though the gauges on my iPhone are stuttering very slightly, and then at times it will only change the value of the gauges every few seconds sometimes to a nonsense value like 113000 rpm or 600 lambda.

I hope this helps, and thanks for your quick response.
Tuscan_John

Post by Tuscan_John »

Hi Wez,

Done a little more experimenting. When the dash display is frozen on the app, everything else works fine, in that you can navigate to the outputs screen and change both the cal and traction settings, as well as navigate to the settings screen. Today, I could get the app to work at all on the dash screen. What I also noticed was that the Bluetooth connection took a very long time to establish, and navigating between screen on the app, it reported losing the Bluetooth connection, so I am wondering whether this is a compatibility problem between the IOS 9.3 Bluetooth stack and the Syvecs Bluetooth box.

I am going to update my iPad Mini (1st Gen) to iOS 9.3 and see whether this still works, but might well not get to that in the next days.

Let me know how you get on.
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated.

I have updated my devices to 9.3 and going to test on the bench this evening, I will let you know my findings.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple have fudged the Bluetooth again, it seems with each release they mess something up :roll: