Can anybody help me with datalogging?

legacygtb

Can anybody help me with datalogging?

Post by legacygtb »

As title really, im struggling to know where to start with datalogging?

Whats the process?

All help appreciated.

Cheers
Will
Austrian Impreza

Re: Can anybody help me with datalogging?

Post by Austrian Impreza »

Syvecs is always logging, what I have seen there is enough space for about 20minutes of data.

You only have to connect to the ECU and open SDATA and click "Device" - "Autoread".
Then you are asked where you want to store the data to and then you can show files in SVIEW.

Hope that helps!

Greets
Markus
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Logging time is dependant on what is logged and how quickly it is logged. Each parameter can be individually set to the required logging rate in SCfg, at the top it will show the logging and event bandwidth, and also an estimate of the logging time available with the loaded logging config. You can add / remove things with SCfg and change the rate for any parameter. You download the current config from the ECU using Device -> Get Config. You can save that so you have a backup using File -> Save :) This will also allow you to work on your logging config offline since you can File -> Load a config. Once you've set it to a set of parameters you're happy with use Device -> Set config. It would also be wise to do Device -> Set time to make sure the PC and ECU are in sync time wise occasionally, especially when going into and out of Daylight Saving Time.

The ECU will log whatever you have asked it once the logging trigger RPM threshold is crossed. You can find this in SCal under Datalogging. It will record to internal memory and it will overwrite the oldest data with current data, so be sure to grab info of interest before it is wiped. You pull datalogs down with SData, which will store them on the PC and ask if you want to erase them from the ECU. The sensible answer is normally yes, unless you want to download the same data to more than one PC. Once on the PC you can view the logged data with the SView application. This will allow you to choose which channels to display, scroll, zoom etc. You can even create new data channels mathematically from existing data using the Math functions :)

Hope this give enough info to get you started.... there is however no substitute for trying things out yourself!

Cheers,

Pat.
Alan

Post by Alan »

hi im in the same boat i figured out how to extrat the data from the ecu and i can view in sview,but im having problems trying to find and attach all logs to email to send to mapper?is there an easy way to do it and send all files at once ? or how can i pick a specific log and send it?i have created a folder and tryedto attach from there but sent a load of duds today im pulling my hair out trying to figure where im goin wrong :x
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Alan,

When in SData you should be able to do File -> Working Directory which will allow you to see / set where files are to be found and stored. There are other settings that will dictate what happens with datalogs. I have mine set to create a new directory for every day, and I keep separate folders for each car. So I'de have Syvecs/Car/DownloadedData/2012-11-21/ and then the logs would be in there (if they were from today).

If you want to send all the files at once then probably simplest to navigate to the DownloadedData folder, right click on the folder that contains the data, choose the compress / zip option from the menu and then attach the zip file to your email in your mail client. Some mail clients would allow you to choose multiple files in the attachment chooser but some will only let you do one at a time which can be a pain, ergo the zip file approach (only one file).

Hope that helps,

Pat.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi Pat,

Ok ive set up a folder in working directory and thats now on my desk top now so each time i extract data from the ecu this is where it will now be found is that correct?and from there ill be able to attach files to mails?

thanks for the reply appriciated as im a learner :oops:

cheers alan
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Hiya Alan!

You use File->Working Directory to set "where to look" on the filesystem. If you have created a folder on your desktop and then used File->Working Directory to choose it then it will use that folder, yes. You use File -> Working Dir Behaviour to set how the folder is treated. In there you configure how directories are created.

I normally use one folder per session as opposed to per device; this way I still get per-date folders but I just have to remember to set the working directory correctly for each new car I get to... that way I have one folder per car and within that many folders per date. You most likely only have one car / ECU to worry about so this model should work well enough and it saves you having to trawl through many files in one (per device) folder to figure out their dates; all files for a given date will be in the same folder, which you can then just zip up and email.

Hope that makes sense,

Pat.
Alan

Post by Alan »

thats great pat thanks a mill :D