Water Methanol Injection Question

Mazda Carnage

Water Methanol Injection Question

Post by Mazda Carnage »

I have been searching for some time now but so far can't find the information I'm looking for.

Have read many threads on many forums and then I read some threads on Syvecs Forums and concluded this is the forum to ask.

This is in regards to misting nozzles (jets) or the physics of flow.
I completely understand the how introducing a pressurized substance into a pressurized environment works, how a properly function 1:1 fuel pressure regulator is simply designed to maintain injector deliver to set fuel rail pressure in a pressurized environment. That an injector rated to flow 350CC at 40psi fuel rail pressure should flow 350cc at 60spi fuel rail pressure with a manifold pressure of 20psi boost above atmosphere.
And this principal applies to Water injection also.

But I keep thinking of the Venturi effect flowing boost air could have on water injection installed after the turbo and before the throttle body.

Venturi: I understand that a sealed liquid tank with a venturi set up on a charge pipe at 20psi boost would flow nothing
I understand that a vented tank with a venturi set up on a charge pipe at 20psi would flow 20psi out of the vent on the tank.
What happens when the liquid in the tank has 20psi (or enough to equate 20spi liquid pressure in the line) of air pressure behind it.
Do the equal pressures nullify themselves and the flow of air through the charge pipe has a venturi effect on the liquid?
Or do the pressures nullify themselves and there is no venturi effect on the liquid?
If there is a Venturi effect, would there still be one if the liquid pressure was 40psi and boost pressure was 20psi?

No I am not pondering, planing or designing a Venturi injection set up of any kind, I am trying to find a nozzle (type and flow) for a 3rd stage of water injection on my set-up and to calculate things properly I want to understand the flow characteristics of this system.

The nozzles are inside the charge pipes on my set up and directed with the flow of air.

So my question is on this set-up:

Air tank (Xpsi)---air liquid tank-------(hose 40psi )-----------Nozzle (in venturi position)- Charge pipe at 20psi gauge pressure.

Would the nozzle flow as though there was 20psi line pressure or would there be any type of venturi effect or possible vacuum on the face of the nozzle created by the air flowing around it?

There is a lot more to the system and the pressure numbers are just examples for this question but that's the principal behind it.
nanalyly

Re: Water Methanol Injection Question

Post by nanalyly »

The system injects a fine mist of the water-methanol mixture into the air intake just before it enters the engine. This mixture evaporates and cools the intake air, increasing the air density and reducing the risk of detonation (knocking) in high-performance engines.
basketbros