ECU connection problem following SSuite update

rpw

ECU connection problem following SSuite update

Post by rpw »

Following a recent full instal of the latest SSuite (2.15.143) I've been suffering from an increasingly annoying and now apparently terminal dose of non connection-itis... This is the case for 1x win7 64bit and 2x win10 pcs and multiple fresh SSuite instals.

Ive tired:
Multiple clean SSuite instals following full uninstallation.
Various combinations of turning on pc,Scal,power to ECU in different orders
Swapped out ethernet cable and checked all cables for pin to pin connectivity, all were good.
Run everything as admin.
Giving up, going to bed and making a fresh start with a clear head the following morning... (for all the good that did i might as well have gone down the pub)

What is really difficult to understand is that in every case, following fresh SSuite install I have been able to bludgeon some form of connection but as a general rule it seems to become more problematic until It gets to a point where it just will not connect. Which is where I am now, 3 pcs all with relatively fresh SSuite installs, new and proven ethernet cable and none of them can connect to the ECU. (a fairly early S6pnp)

At one point I thought it may have been down to a faulty ethernet port on the win7 pc but subsquent pc swaps disproved this theory.

Most frustratingly and potentially seriously I believed i had somehow sorted the connection problem and was performing a firmware upgrade when the last connection Ive managedto establish, died. Luckily I don't think the firmware exe had started the erase phase so at least I have a viable ECU calibration (albiet at v1.28... err... yeah I'm not exactly a regular user!)

There have a been a few similar threads over the years and Ive tried pretty much everything that they seem to suggest. I'd like to try a previous SSuite installation but there doesn't seem to be any earlier ones, just the latest? I'm also wondering if it could be a ECU hardware failure?? or a windoze update thats gone and screwed with the network adaptors.... or, dunno..... HELP!!

Any help gratefully received

Ralph
stevieturbo

Re: ECU connection problem following SSuite update

Post by stevieturbo »

Never heard of any having comms issues ? It's pretty straightforward

Have you ever connected to the ecu successfully ?

Is the ecu actually powered up and working ?

What ecu is it, and what way is the wiring to the pins on the ecu for ethernet comms ?
rpw

Post by rpw »

Never had any connection problems prior to updating SSuite last week. have connected many times without any issue before then.

ECU is powered up and working, car runs ok just cannot connect with any SSuite program. They all report a message to the effect there is no device to connect to. But there clearly is and ive seen it connect and drop the connection then get it back... It's been a developing problem that Ive worked around, up to a point, by repeatdly reinstalling SSuite on multiple pcs, it seems ok initially but then the combination of PC, Scal, installed ethernet driver and the particualar windoze flavour conspire over repeated connections to connect less and less frequently and then not at all.

I thought I had established good reliable communication this morning and went down the route of updating the firmware (previously only ever updated from 1.26 to 1.28)... and the connection dropped just before the S6v1-100-1.exe (latest at time of posting) was about to erase the ECU and update the firmware!! The connection dropped and any subsequent attempts to connect with any pc have failed. (

The ECU is an S6pnp

In terms of "wiring to the pins on ecu for ethernet comms", Ihave no idea, just plugging into the ethernet port on ECU and ive definitely changed nothing in that department! I just checked that all ethernet cables that I tried were fit for purpose using a ethernet cable tester to prove master and remote pin to pin correspondence, i.e. check that the cable(s I tried 3) were not the problem.

if you search for +connection + problems you should find a couple of threads where guys have had similar problems....

I think one of 2 things may have happened. Either Ive got a developing hardware problem on the ECU or SSuite (2.15.143) has a ethernet driver bug and/or a windows update has messed with the (3rd party) ethernet driver installation. But neither of these are within my capability to fix without help. If its the latter other poeple should start to report it I guess.
rac

Post by rac »

when you restart your laptop does it work the first time and not there after?
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

Are you running any form of VPN software on the laptop?
Can you try plugging the car in to your LAN and accessing the ECU over your WiFi rather than a physical wired connection?
rpw

Post by rpw »

Restarting the pc was a ploy I was using with some success until the most recent loss of connection. But it wasn't a clear cut, restart, connect once, then fail at second connection, but there was a general trend in that direction.

Definitely not running any VPN software.

I have a 6m ethernet cable so I could connect the car to my home LAN but I've no idea how to get Scal/Scfg. etc to recognize the ECU as a random IP on my LAN accessed wirelessly by the logging PC! What would you expect to be the benefit/ advantage in that strategy? (sorry but I'm on the limit of my very limited IT skill set with all this)

By way of an experiment I'm going to dig out an old XP laptop with early SSuite installed (at whatever vintage XP stopped being supported) and just give that a whirl tonight. Will also reinstall SSuite and try once more with the Win7 lappy and see if I can get any response from the ECU.

I'm worried that I may have rendered a difficult situation a lot worse when the connection failed as I was attempting the firmware upgrade mentioned earlier. So if any subsequent connection can be achieved at all, I'll be in a happier place, but either way It should help inform the problem.

Btw car seems to run ok. got me to work today.... may be cycling tomorrow :roll:
rpw

Post by rpw »

Ok. so not good news :cry:

Tried both old XP laptop with Scal (version 1.13 from memory) and fresh SSuite on win 7 machine and neither connect . In both cases pc turned on in car and no other programs running.

Is looking to me very much that the problem is on the ECU, probalby the ethernet port. Also if it were a software bug Im sure there would be other people with the same story.

To re-iterate, car is running ok but just CANNOT connect at all............

Has anyone had any experience of such problem and whether it can be fixed?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So you cannot access the ecu with any software ?

CFG, MSG, Data, Cal etc etc ?

Have you tried reverting back to an older SSuite ?

Have you tried current SSuite, but with a total clean install after fully removing all aspects of the old ( or current version ) ?

if you need older versions, I'm sure Syvecs support can provide, or I should have most of them too I can email you ( although emails can be funny about .exe files )
rpw

Post by rpw »

Unfortunately the answers are:

no acces with any of the suite (but mostly I'm trying with Scal).
yes the SSuite on the old XP lappy was dated circa 2014 which was the period that I was regularly connecting to work onthe idle control calibrations
My last attempt on my win 7 machine was with a totally clean install including a manual delete of the LfNtMp50.SYS and LfNtSp50.SYS drivers (that seem to be the same files as per the 2014 vintage)

Hence I think that its not a PC/windoze/cable issue but is a problem on the board of my particular ECU and, because the rest of the functions seem ok, car drives fine etc, im guessing it is just the wiring to the LAN connector, and what ever that connects to on the ECU "motherboard".

Any ideas as to a way forward test this theory out (or disprove it)?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I have seen this on more than one occasion and never found "the" magic answer.

Since so many laptops and Windows versions don't work, your suspicion of the ECU is probably right.

It's a PnP - so relies on cutting the OEM case to make it fit and expose the Ethernet connector. I have known the comms connector short out on a badly cut case, so perhaps it could also apply to Ethernet.

It might be worth taking the ECU out of the case (carefully!) and seeing if you can then connect?