S6GP Main Connector Crimpers

ders

S6GP Main Connector Crimpers

Post by ders »

I've trawled the forums for this subject and have found a few close matches but none that specifically cover for the S6GP. I saw one thread which pointed to Durite 0-703-52 and 0-703-53 but I think these were for the S6+ and S8.

I'm putting together my own wiring harness and am trying to find out what crimping tools I'll need for the main ECU to loom plug for an S6GP. If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be hugely appreciated!
stevieturbo

Re: S6GP Main Connector Crimpers

Post by stevieturbo »

For most part any decent W style crimp will work perfectly fine. S6GP and S8 would be same sort of pins. S6+ etc totally different although my link below on the DTA forum is primarily talking about the S6+ style, as most ecu's these days use the same connector. It's awkward to find that good crimper that leaves a round crimp.

But they also all have W style crimp sections on them too, and they've been very handy to have.

I'm sure it's been covered on this forum too, but I've put photos of some I've bought and used here, which are fairly cheap and do a good job of most styles of crimp. I bought all 3 types, obviously there are overlaps of what they can do.

http://www.dtaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16&p=14337

https://whiteproducts.com/cetools.shtml

Damned if I can recall where I bought mine though, I'm fairly sure they were bought from separate sources.

Racetronix do a couple of them, I might have bought via ebay or something. UK suppliers seem fewer though

https://www.racetronix.biz/storeitems.asp?cc=crimp-00

Ratchet crimpers are probably a good thing, but also heavy and annoying at times. The simple manuals ones here...well, they're just simple. Although the two portions of each crimp need done individually.
Proper crimpers would tend to do both at once....not all cheap ratchet crimpers will do this though. Not a big deal for a DIYer though
ders

Post by ders »

Wow, I wasn't expecting a response that fast.

Those crimpers look very similar to Superseal 1.5 but I'm sure I read somewhere that S6GP used the older Superseal 1.0 which I can't find anything for. I can just get jaw inserts for Superseal 1.5 for the crimpers I have already, but I have a niggling feeling that option may be too good to be true.

Superseal 1.5 Crimping Tool http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16

H2 inserts http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16

H3 inserts http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

None of the Syvecs ECUs use SuperSeal 1.5.

S6GP is Microtimer II (small terminals) and (strictly) Junior Power Timer for the large terminals (but they need seals, which aren't supplied with the terminal kit, so use Junior Timer tool instead and accept the occasional below-average crimp: or buy seals; but then the small terminals ought to have seals too!).
S6+/S6I use SuperSeal 1.0. These are not "old" and are much nicer than the rather agricultural 1.5 series IMHO!
S8 uses Microtimer 1 for small terminals, and same comment as S6GP regarding large terminals.

The Durite tools cited work well for the JT and JPT terminals, as well as the Microtimer I/II terminals. I have found no cheap tool that does the Superseal 1.0 well, but I'm sure they exist since, as Stevie says, these terminals are common to so many ECUs now (S6+/S6I, G4+, MoTeC, new Omex, etc etc).
ders

Post by ders »

Ah, ok I can see where I'm perhaps getting confused now. I'll forget what I currently have in terms of crimping tools and start anew.

Thanks for all the help guys :D
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I havent tried the ones I mentioned on the S6+ pins, but as you can see in the thread, others have with good results.

Rywire or Speedwire, cant recall which...one or two of the companies in the US who sell wiring products sell some big lever arm type crimpers for the s6+ types, but pretty sure it's just a metripack crimper or something rather than the actual correct tool
I nearly did buy one once, then figured I had no real need as the little T10 etc worked just fine.

IMO the biggest hindrance with the +type pins, is using wire that's too big. Keep the wire down to a necessary size and proper thinwall cable and it's much easier to get a good crimp, and for that pin to then fit into the housing.

but the older stuff, S6, S8, most injector type terminals, AMPseap etc etc etc the little W type crimpers do work great. The crimpers with the round hole, work great to for those that require a seal in place.
If the terminals have long legs intended for a seal, I've just trimmed then down then done a W crimp again. Lets face it, the S6 and S8 housings arent particularly sealed anyway, so no need for seals on the terminals.

Even OEM ecu's using the same setup dont have seals on them.
Slowie

Post by Slowie »

For larger cables on Superseal 1.0 plugs, use the following pins: Tyco p/n 3-1447221-3

They are rated at 18-16AWG cable, but I have crimped 14AWG M22759-32 cable in there no problem.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

They're the terminals supplied by Syvecs I believe. The bigger problem is smaller gauge wire in my experience.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

The AMP pins are the same as the Motec MXXX ECU's

I bought mine many years ago, think they were Tyco Electronics Amp 58495-1 Pro-Crimpers fitted with 58495 jaws.
wayneosan

Post by wayneosan »

BUMP.

I just learned something today :) Thanks guys.
Supporting
T1 Race Development
FPerformance Dubai
EKanoo Racing: Nissan
Syvecs US Clients