Any issues with this SyncLog?

For Toyota Technical Chat.
stevieturbo

Re: Any issues with this SyncLog?

Post by stevieturbo »

The Cal has a lot of warnings...as if FW upgraded and lots not checked and cleared ?

But on that cal, you do not have fuel pressure assigned to an input ? So it's never going to read.

But....you also have fuel pressure trips active, so potentially that would cause a trip...although with that set at 4500rpm, it shouldnt affect starting.

And also you do not have an oil pressure sensor assigned....but again you have safety trips active, which would shut the engine down. And with a default value of 0psi....this is what the ecu is believing the oil pressure to be.

So that probably would allow the engine to crank and attempt to start for the period of time prior to tripping the oil pressure safety

But you dont mention changing any of these things from a working setup ?
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Sorry!
That was the original Cal before it was made to run (I believe simply by turning the engine trips off).

Latest Cal attached.
Attachments
working base map.SC
(315.02 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Which Cal are you trying to start on ?

It looks Cal 1 or 7 may not have fuel applied during starting ?

Although that would not account for you saying there is no spark during cranking.

Really...if it is syncing up and says it is in 720sync during cranking it should be making some attempt to start and there should be a signal to both the coils and injectors.

Presumably FP1 on the ecu is reading fuel pressure correctly ? Even if it doesnt appear so on your Toucan ?
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Cal 1 is what I am using.

The ecu is reading a fuel pressure, but does not read anywhere near what the analogue gauge is telling me. (5 bar analogue but 0.3 bar fp1 building to around 2 bar during crank).

The car seems to be struggling to get 720 sync. Scal tells me it reaches pre inject but then never gets beyond 320 >720.
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

One other thing I notice is consistently on in SCal is EOP LIMP mode as active.
Although I believe this trip is turned off, would it be possible that the trip needs a reset (tripped from an earlier start before the limp was deactivated) so that it doesn't trip again?

If so, how would I go about clearing it?
At the very least I can attempt to log the starting procedure again after everything is cleared to try and see exactly what trips when and where.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Problem with that is...I'm pretty sure if one trip is flagged....you'll only see one recorded and not any others.

And on the last map you posted...on Cal 1 the oil pressure trip is not active. So it should not be flagging.

Are you getting an oil pressure reading on the ecu ?

And what you are saying about no fuel pressure reading...or lack of on the ecu makes no sense. The sensor cannot be wired up correctly or the sensor is not working.

Have you actually tested this as I described to verify it can work and be read on the ecu ?

But yes if EOP trip is active ( which doesnt make a lot of sense either as the engine isnt going to "run" state to get beyond the time threshold to be active ) then that would kill the engine.
But again if you are on Cal 1 that trip is not active.

Are you on Cal 1 ? as verified on the ecu ?

And whilst it isnt going to 720sync now....it should still make some attempt to start when the above issues are also resolved.

I'd probably change starting "Minimum Engine Speed for 720sync" to a much lower number...ie below cranking speed. I dont see any sense waiting until 700rpm for this.

Given the number of things you're describing....how is the car not running when you say havent changed anything ? Has it ever run properly ? History ? Or has it never actually ran properly in the first place ?
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Your last comment is exactly why I do not understand the situation!
The car ran, but was difficult to start, required alot of throttle pumping and then hold throttle until it held idle around 1300rpm. Once idling it would fluctuate rpm up and down, running extremely rich, I believe due to the faulty ect sensor.

This was the first running setup since doing the single turbo build.

I replaced the ect sensor, and renewed the wiring so that the connection was good. SCal now reads ECT correctly.

On trying to start for the first time afterwards I got some coughs, a misfire and a bit of a pop and ever since it cranks but no fire.

I did not touch anything else, between the rough start and changing the sensor.

EOP is reading, will check the actual figures tonight and reply with a list of all readings.
I agree the FP1 issue makes no sense - I do believe it could be a faulty sensor, however when telling the ECU there is no fp sensor, it makes no difference at all.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

davecarroll wrote:Your last comment is exactly why I do not understand the situation!
The car ran, but was difficult to start, required alot of throttle pumping and then hold throttle until it held idle around 1300rpm. Once idling it would fluctuate rpm up and down, running extremely rich, I believe due to the faulty ect sensor.

This was the first running setup since doing the single turbo build.

I replaced the ect sensor, and renewed the wiring so that the connection was good. SCal now reads ECT correctly.

On trying to start for the first time afterwards I got some coughs, a misfire and a bit of a pop and ever since it cranks but no fire.

I did not touch anything else, between the rough start and changing the sensor.

EOP is reading, will check the actual figures tonight and reply with a list of all readings.
I agree the FP1 issue makes no sense - I do believe it could be a faulty sensor, however when telling the ECU there is no fp sensor, it makes no difference at all.
What you're saying makes no sense. A good running engine will start easily and does not require you to pump the pedal etc or anything like that

So has this engine/ecu ever ran correctly as you would expect a normal car to run ?

or exactly what has changed from when it did run as a normal engine should ? Changing only a turbo/exhaust should not make any difference to the starting and idling.

Do all sensors give normal readings ? Or are there others with issues ?

If you disable the FP1 in I/O the reading will go to default value, which in your case is 0. And you say it is reading zero. A faulty sensor/circuit would also display this. So that sounds correct, albeit with a fault somewhere.
So you cannot have tested configured the fuel pressure sensor correctly otherwise it would work although that wont prevent starting.

And when EOP trip is disabled in Cal 1....it makes no sense that you are saying EOP trip is active when trying to start. Are you on Cal1 ?

A log during cranking with the relevant sensor data and trips, Cal etc being logged would be useful.

But sync scope looks to have a decent waveform, cranking speed is perfectly fine to start an engine, but it does seem there are other issues.
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

The last time this engine ran perfectly was before the single turbo build, which included changing the standard ecu to the syvecs.

The base map I got via a helpful member of the supra forum, for a similar but not same build. My mapper then played with it, telling me he disabled the trips, to finally get it to run.

Since the syvecs was installed it has never ran normally. It has only ran with a fluctuating idle, extremely rich, and been difficult to start. Cranking without touching the throttle would not result in starting.

This is essentially a fresh build yet to be fully mapped.

The next step was to fully map and dyno the car as it would at least run, but needed the coolant temp sensor sorted.

The replacement of the coolant temp sensor is the only thong I have purposely changed since it last 'ran'.

I may have unwittingly changed some of the Cal as I did try changing some of the cal based on research to get it to run again. But as you say, the Cal would seem to be ok.

I have tried starting on both Cal 1 and Cal 7 but neither resulted in start.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I think you'll be best having someone at the car look at it who can ensure all sensors etc are reading normally and can test/make changes to see what might be causing it to fail starting.

There are just too many things not adding up to do it remotely like this.

It may be something simple, but it sounds like there are a few problems that need resolved.