Benefits

Mrchips

Benefits

Post by Mrchips »

Right I am seriously considering these ecus as I have gone through MAF sensors.
What other benefits does this ecu have?

I have a UK turbo impreza, as Charlie will know not having much luck with.

Just getting all info so I know exactly what's going on. Can I get other bits like anti lag (this is only for fun) and would I need separate dairies for each application like different maps anti lag etc etc?

Thanks and my the force be with you
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: Benefits

Post by pat »

Mr Chips,

You have correctly identified that the ECU is a speed density unit that doesn't need an airflow meter for primary load determination. Other benefits are of different priority to different people. To my mind, the single most under-sold benefit is that it aims to be everything to everyone; we don't assume we know what you are going to do with your car and we don't expect you to adapt the car to the ECU, we try to make the "difficult" things easy whilst making the esoteric possible. If you wanted to fit a Toyota 2JZ engine and a Nissan ATTESA ETS-PRO electro-hydraulic transmission to your car then the answer from the ECU's perspective would be "YES, you can!". That's a bit beyond the average user but it illustrates the point that the S6 will make your hardware work, within reason regardless of what it is...

I must admit that many people won't want to take advantage of such extreme possibilities, a more common request is "can you make this STi Version 8 engine work in my MY95 Impreza ?". The answer is, of course, YES. You may not want to go that far though... but it illustrates one of the key principles; the "brain" of the ECU is universal, regardless of what car you put it in, if it can do something in one car then it can also do it in another. You can also "transplant" the ECU from one car to another by just swapping the carrier board, your investment stays with you, an ECU for life if you will.

Of course even relatively simple hybrid setups may be beyond your requirements at the moment, so we get to the "core" features of the ECU which will benefit every installation. It has always been our motto that there are no hidden extras / surprises, the "base" price IS the price, ALL of the features are there by default [with the one exception of the Advanced Knock Control, but the ECU does have knock control even without this option]. This means that things like Launch Control, Anti Lag, Wet / Dry Nitrous, Active Differential Control, Multiple Maps, Onboard NTK Wideband interface for full time lambda control etc are all there.

The S6 also comes with what is presently the reference standard in terms of boost control. I have been able to control fundamentally unstable system using an S6, something that would have basically been impossible with anything else. Of course boost targets are both 3 dimensional and gear and calibration specific; this can extend the usable performance envelope appreciably. Most of the time critical things happen in separate hardware, allowing more power to be realised; even at 18,000 RPM the amount of spark scatter is below observable limits, something that isn't true of many ECUs. In fact I am not aware of a single instance of an Syvecs being fitted and there not being an improvement, regardless of what it replaced. This hardware is also responsible for the extreme reaction speed of the ECU; it can for example react to an over-rev or overboost within 30 degrees of crank rotation; that's within 1/3600th of a second at 18,000 RPM. Or indeed within 1/1400 th of a second at the more sedate 7000 RPM maximum RPM you'll probably run.

One thing that always seems "odd" is datalogging, most people don't know why they need it, until they have it, then wonder how they ever coped without it. Being able to look back at something in fine detail after the event allows you to learn from it. All the Syvecs units have powerful onboard datalogging capabilities, able to record up to 8,000 readings per second. Whilst on the topic of datalogging, there is also telemetry available from both RS232 and CAN interfaces, allowing easy integration with both external dataloggers and electronic dash displays. If your original dash doesn't show boost and lambda, now you can (sadly you will need a dash, but hey).

In terms of multiple maps, there are four ignition maps, four fuel maps, four lambda target maps, four antilag maps etc. A calibration switch can have up to 8 positions (presently), and each position can be freely assigned. So let's say you want position 1 as fuel map 1, ignition map 1, boost 1 bar for 95 RON fuel, position 2 as fuel map 2, ignition map 2, boost 1 bar for V-Power, position 3 as fuel map 2, ignition map 2, boost 1.35 bar for V-Power, position 4 as fuel map 3, ignition map 3, boost 1.5 bar for V-Power + 20% Methanol then you can...

Hope this helps....

Kíyevame ma oeyä 'eylan ulte Eywa ngahu,

Pat.