CAN Offset

Designed to work with any OEM car platform. Configurable CAN RX setup and flexible I/O

Also features a 6 Axis IMU Chip on board
xr4x4ti

CAN Offset

Post by xr4x4ti »

I am using the Generic AWD controller in a 2017 Ford Mustang GT that I am converting to AWD.

I got the unit wired up and got the basic CAN working. So far I have throttle, vehicle speed, RPM and all four wheel ABS wheel speeds.

But, the steering angle is not working. The basic issue is that the bit offset doesn't seem to do anything or has very little affect. It is my understanding that the steering angle on Fords is a not signed number with the center being 32000 (before scaler to convert to degrees). If I put plus or minus 32000 in the bit offset, nothing seems to happen. It doesn't change the calculated angle at all.

Any insight would be appreciated. Also if anybody has information to confirm the CAN MSG, length and start.

Thanks,
Tim
xr4x4ti

Re: CAN Offset

Post by xr4x4ti »

I might have this working.

I didn't do anything different. I just tried using the same settings I used before on another day and it worked as it should.

On Sunday putting 32000 in the offset seemed to do nothing. Yesterday I typed in the same 32000 and poof and made my steering wheel angle come out to zero when the wheel is centered.

Is there a bug in the software?

Also, I am not trying to be critical, but there should be a check in the software such that if set invalid CAN variables and then try to write it to the controller, it should not fail and basically brick the controller until you reflash the controller from a known good file. This gets VERY tedious when you are experimenting with the CAN communication in a car where some of the variables are not fully defined.

Thanks
lilycollins9x

Post by lilycollins9x »

Be aware of any special aspects of your Mustang's setup or modifications that could potentially affect CAN communication data or steering angle.slope
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I've never used the controllers etc, so can't really help there.

But would this aspect be of any use ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHcp5rHUFrY

Or maybe it's what you're already doing ? I know little about CAN, other than it is like another language. Very useful, but quite difficult to learn

Also, only just found your project on Youtube the other day. Amazing work.
thomasfrank

Post by thomasfrank »

I advise using a CAN bus analyzer or monitoring tool to capture the raw CAN data stream from the Ford Mustang GT's steering wheel angle sensor. contexto