Exhaust valves won't stay closed bug

Technical Help / Firmwares for the VAG MQB Range - Audi RS3 / TTRS
sorozco

Exhaust valves won't stay closed bug

Post by sorozco »

I've had Syvecs for over a year now and one problem Iroz Motorsport couldn't fix was the Syvecs unit not being able to keep the exhaust valves closed. Is this a known issue? Any ETA on a fix if so?

Thank you!
nmerdan

Re: Exhaust valves won't stay closed bug

Post by nmerdan »

What car? Closed under what conditions? Are they ever closed? Please explain in detail what the problem is.
sorozco

Post by sorozco »

2018 RS3
Car in comfort or auto mode idling while parked. Valves will initially close then randomly open within 1-5 minutes. I had also seen this behavior while driving normally (no full throttle) in the same modes. It would be closed then after a little time stay open. This is problematic because of California sound laws and my female companions don't always appreciate the sporty sound.

I've currently switched to an aftermarket system with a manual switch but I'd like the option to go back to using the stock setup.

I found this because I was talking with someone and couldn't get the car to be quiet while we discussed something.

Others have seen this with the same setup so I'll try to get them to register and post if you need additional people to help give info.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And what normally controls these exhaust system/silencer/muffler valves.......an important note...because "exhaust valves" are inside the engine and totally mechanical

Certainly for the aftermarket, I'd see no reason why the ecu could not easily control that, as it is just a switch.
sorozco

Post by sorozco »

These are the stock valves that toggle between the muffler's two modes and are controlled by the ECU.

Others who can provide information are waiting for their forum accounts to be approved. Nick STATHOPOULOS is one of them.
stevieturbo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:11 pm And what normally controls these exhaust system/silencer/muffler valves.......an important note...because "exhaust valves" are inside the engine and totally mechanical

Certainly for the aftermarket, I'd see no reason why the ecu could not easily control that, as it is just a switch.
nmerdan

Post by nmerdan »

It's hard to say anything without the logs - the PWM duty that goes to the valve needs to be logged. It would also be useful to see the calibration, since this sounds like a time-based event changes the duty, like temperature, runTime, etc.

I have the 8J TTRS and have no issues with this. There's a 2D map with Cal on one axis and map1 (boost) on the other one, and the valve is closed when I want it to be closed and open if I go into a certain Cal or boost goes above a certain threshold.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

What is the nature of the valve/control ?

Solenoid ? stepper ? via air ? other ?
Nothingbutspeed

Post by Nothingbutspeed »

Hey all another TTRS here iroz built car, yes my exhaust flaps won’t stay closed either, any solution to this?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

The valve has certain characteristics that we don't know as we're not familiar with the car. The ECU can probably control it if the characteristics are known. Or the characteristics of the valve are something that the ecu hardware can't control so it needs an external controller of some sorts.

Bottom line...more information needed here, or bounce it back to iroz!!
sorozco

Post by sorozco »

Iroz has supposedly been in touch with them about this but it's been a long time so I wanted to check in from my side. I'll ask them to post here to help move things along because many of us are having this issue.

TimH wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 pm The valve has certain characteristics that we don't know as we're not familiar with the car. The ECU can probably control it if the characteristics are known. Or the characteristics of the valve are something that the ecu hardware can't control so it needs an external controller of some sorts.

Bottom line...more information needed here, or bounce it back to iroz!!