What Pin for rolling launch

Hodge

What Pin for rolling launch

Post by Hodge »

Hi guys
I'm wanting to set up a rolling launch on a supra. Now I've fitted a push to make button on the steering wheel with 1 side to ground and I've ran the other side to the S6. What pin can I use for this facility please?

Cheers
John
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: What Pin for rolling launch

Post by pat »

John,

since there is no such strategy as "rolling launch", there is also no pin associated with it. What you are looking at is an effect and it can be realised in more than one way.

Conceptually, "rolling launch" is a mechanism to increase the air mass flow rate through the engine whilst maintaining the same engine torque, thereby facilitating a sudden torque burst by simply making full use of the greater air mass flow rate already present, at the time of torque demand. Any strategy that can achieve that effect can be used to implement a "rolling launch".

One way this is done is to use a pin as a Cal Override, which forces the current ALS calibration into one which has appropriate calibration data to achieve the "rolling launch" effect. This will work well on a car that does not otherwise use ALS, and certainly would require that no ALS switch be connected (otherwise it could thus be rendered ineffective). If you don't need full blown ALS then this may be a way of achieving the result you are looking for.

One other way that we have used (on the Subaru MY15 which is provisioned with full blown ALS) is to deploy torque intervention. This has the advantage that is does not impact the ALS - indeed it is possible to have ALS active whilst using "rolling launch", but it is not readily achievable by just connecting a switch in the same way as the Cal Override is. If you were using an S6GPPlus ECU then I would have suggested that I send you a modified firmware for the GPPlus, but since it appears to be an S6GP, it would need a CAN bridge with custom firmware. I'll look into the viability of doing this and perhaps as a better long term solution, to create an actual "rolling launch" strategy which serves this purpose, directly in the S6 firmware.

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Hi Pat
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I've explained this wrong. Ryan set this up on my old supra with a push to make button on the wheel. Im installing the S6 for someone else and wanted it all wired in for the tuner to do his stuff. I believe the owner has spoke to Romain for mapping. Rywn did explain to me how he did it but it was a while ago now. A cal overide does spring to mind though. If this was the case, I'm guessing the push to make wire would go to either pin 63, 64, 65, or 66.

Cheers
John
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

John,

Cal Override is the "original" way of doing it, but as explained it doesn't work well if you want to run proper ALS as well... in your case it looks like you just need to provide a Cal Override switch, and the pins that you have listed are suitable for that purpose - ie switching to ground. Just need to make sure that the right pin is assigned in the I/O config :)

Cheers,

Pat.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

In order to make efficient use of inputs...

Could the Cal overide be assigned to the normal Cal select pin, except the override switch force either 0v or 5v ( user selectable depending on chosen input and their wiring )

The Cal switches never actually see either extreme anyway, so using say >4.9v for Cal override would still give same functionality, without having to use another input.

Or is that not workable ?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Toucan has a CAL override function that's sent over CANbus (if you're changing CALs via CANbus that is).

If you want a physical switch, you can "jumper" the diodes of the CAL switch to force a jump to a different CAL. Never done this myself, but I know it can be done...Christmas Eve isn't the time for me to turn my brain on to work out the way to do it but I'm sure it's not rocket science!