Backing up existing calibration on ecu

Opm881

Backing up existing calibration on ecu

Post by Opm881 »

Hey,
So I’m new to the whole syvecs system and have recently bought a Ford Focus RS which has come with a syvecs ecu in it. It’s running a custom calibration due to changes in engine components and everything, so I am wanting to make a back up of the existing calibration incase anything happens to the ecu as the guy that tuned it is in a different city 2 days drive away. Only problem is, I’m nervous about plugging into it and pressing the wrong thing and wiping it. I have tried reading the syvecs manual but can’t figure out how to make a copy off the ecu so I have a backup on my computer. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance!
stevieturbo

Re: Backing up existing calibration on ecu

Post by stevieturbo »

which part of the instructions do you not follow ?

This more or less covers it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDPKCQYzo0&t=2s
Opm881

Post by Opm881 »

stevieturbo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 pm which part of the instructions do you not follow ?

This more or less covers it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDPKCQYzo0&t=2s
I hadn't seen that video, I was just reading the manual off the website. So I was able to connect, but only 1 calibration showed up, but my understanding is that the Focus RS mk3 one has 4 loaded by default which are selected via the drive mode button. Now we can still press the drive mode button when the car is running and have the drive mode change, but I can't seem to see all the calibrations. Do I need to have the car running to see them all to make a backup?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The ecu will contain only one ecu calibration file on the ecu

Obviously within that via a Cal switch, there are multiple options available to the driver. But there is only one engine calibration file.

There will also of course be a logging configuration file too via SCfg as to the various items the user wants to log.

So in total there are 2 files in the ecu. One engine calibration via SCal, and one logging configuration via SCfg.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

To expand on Stevie's answer, the CAL switch (simplistically) selects different tables or parameters rather than selecting specific, unique calibrations. It might, for example, change the boost target, or select a different set of fuel/ignition/boost "tables" to suit different fuels.

So, just one file, which includes all the variations the CAL switch has been set up to change.

The Syvecs software is very complex and a bit scary for sure...best is to download the Cal, watch the videos, then poke around OFFLINE and suss it out in your own good time.