2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Jackstrath

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by Jackstrath »

So -Update!

Its up and running and with the larger TB its defiantly helped the car breath!

Its a strange feeling that im going to have to get used to if im honest!

Quick question is the DBW speed, before with my dog box i could lift off the throttle and clutch less up change, the "rock" in the engine going from WOT to close was enough to let me fly up the gearbox no issue, but the DBW set up doesn’t seem to react just as quick - delaying the "rock" of the engine and not unloading the gearset as quick as i need it to. This might be me just needing some time to get used to it but is there any way i can speed up the closure of the throttle to aid me changing?

Also other little bug is im using the clutch switch to throttle blip, this also blips on the way up the box... not a issue if im not using the clutch to upshift but as per above i can’t do that currently! is there any way i can change or program the blip to only activate under either decell or vacuum conditions?

Mapper suggested a load cell for the gearbox but i don’t think you can get one for a cable box?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

How fast or slow you think the DBW is....

log PPS vs TPS and see if there is a discrepancy. ( and log it at a sensible rate )

Then work from there. But different units have different abilities.

I cant see how a load cell would ever work correctly on an H pattern.

Not sure on the blip one, never did get around to doing this myself. But you'd think it must be possible
thisguy

Post by thisguy »

You will find that the throttle body/ies will flow the same amount of air down to a certain throttle opening, This may be anywhere from 60-90% for NA engines and down as low as 30-40% on turbo applications. Once you know this number, you can limit the throttle to just above this value. Once you do this will allow torque reduction to come a lot quicker to throttle closing. You will also be able to gain resolution in the PPS since the PPS will be longer than the throttle.

You also have to think that going to larger throttle bodies, it would take more of a throttle closing to get the same amount of torque reduction.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

It’s quick, like free reving I’m really impressed with how fast it is but just feels like there is a delay when you lift off and timing is everything for clutchless upshifts

Il need to do some logging I think ! I might even have a log from when I tryed it on the way home from! Il go have a dog
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Slight update, so... turned out i hadn't updated the ECU since 1.74 (dec 16")

Out to the mappers to see if i could get to the bottom of the throttle issue and first things first updated the ecu to 1.100 , he made a few slight adjustments and boom! it was night and day!

So was out on the road doing some live mapping and starting to set up the flat shift.... 2nd shift and boom the sore gearbox let go :lol: it was sore at cadwell so not surprised at all, gearbox is out and sent off so should have it back and sorted soon, might get it back to the RR before the end of the year to set it up again.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Update - So the focus is going well. flatshift and gear blip working well thanks to Trickster for spending some time running through my diagrams haha!

But next on the list for me is gearbox... the Quaife gearbox hasnt exactly been hassle free and tbh iv fallen out of love with the car becasue of it....

So iv decided to convert the car to DSG, Sadly this means ditching the S6 ECU and moving to a S7i as the code to run the DSG soft wear will not run on the S6.
Im just the moment going through what il have to do to get this to work and im just at a stumbling point with regards to speed signals. The focus gets its speed signal from a single point in the gearbox. The DSG GCU/TCM needs to see left and right speed signals. Now is there any way i can intercept the signal from the abs unit with out effecting the ABS?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Can't help. But it does seem the aftermarket controllers seem more common with the DSG's etc. That might be an option that may not need different speed signals ?

Do you know what type of wheel speed sensors the ABS uses ? Some might be more shareable than others
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

stevieturbo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:50 pm Can't help. But it does seem the aftermarket controllers seem more common with the DSG's etc. That might be an option that may not need different speed signals ?

Do you know what type of wheel speed sensors the ABS uses ? Some might be more shareable than others
It does seem like the hgt controller would require speed sensors as well 🤦‍♂️

Having spent a bit of time last night with what I have and what I want I realistically think I’m going to need to go to s7plus now!

The abs system is MK25 Bosch ABS system, fairly common in the early 2000’s but I can’t seem to find much on how it works
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Just look at a sensor...how many wires are there ?

If 3, you stand more chance of piggybacking...if 2, less likely.

Or just ad your own independent wheel speed sensors
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Aww it’s 100% 2 wires, adding a 2nd wheel speed sensor sounds like a nightmare! Best go do some research into that now 🙈😂