V4 sti knock sensor earthed

garyf

Re: V4 sti knock sensor earthed

Post by garyf »

stevieturbo wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 pm I've had the same connections issues since last update.

No idea why, sometimes on bootup it will find an ecu, others it wont. I keep the SSuite file on the desktop now for quick re-install when it happens
I can live with that.
garyf

Post by garyf »

I tested the injector wires today, good continuity on the signal wires, the injector earth emitted a short tone then some numbers came up, im asuming this means there is resistance, I tried the old earth that went to the ignitor and it gave a steady tone at the ecu. The injector earth that goes to the ecu, can I earth it to the block instead of ecu? I bypassed this wire today in the loom and it now gives a steady tone back at the ecu plug, only problem is the engine wouldnt start, Ive only bypassed this wire, is there anything else in the loom between engine and ecu that uses this as an earth, on the ecu wiring diagram its just an injector earth?

I thought maybe because it was earthing better it was maybe overfueling and flodded so i tried pulling some fuel but it still wouldnt start, Ill reconnect the wire the same as before tomorrow and see if it runs.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Really, I think you should stop playing with wiring when you do not know what you're doing as you could cause damage either to the engine or the ecu

100% you CANNOT just wire the injector trigger wire to the engine ground, unless you want the injector to be open all the time.

And often ohm testing is a waste of time, circuits tested need to be tested under load.
garyf

Post by garyf »

Hows it going to damage the engine, itll either run or it wont, also anything I havnt been sure about Ive asked before doing so your point is? I thought the whole point of a forum was to exchange ideas.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Because if you try and run the engine with an injector held wide open, you could cause a hydraulic lock and bend a rod etc.

If you're messing with wiring without understanding what you're doing, you could fry something in the ecu.

You are getting advice, stop messing with wiring if you do not understand it.

This may not be the advice you want to hear, but it IS sound advice.
garyf

Post by garyf »

Your missing the point anything I havnt been sure about Ive asked first.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The best advice at present, is take it to someone competent who can work through any issues.

Again maybe not what you want to hear, but it is the advice you need to hear.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

What "injector earth" are you referring to?
garyf

Post by garyf »

So the best way to learn is to quit, stunning advice! Anyway issue found appeciate all the help.
garyf

Post by garyf »

TimH wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:42 am What "injector earth" are you referring to?
Its not injectors Tim, I fired it up this morning and it missed for a half mile then cleared, I had a good look at my logs and its glaringly obvious whats wrong the ecu is pulling around 20 to 30 deg of timing intermittently, a bucket load of rain last night a bit of looking around the loom and I have water coming up one of the cables in to the ecu, explains why it seemed better on warmer days, to be honest I thought I was just imagining this. Ill have to redo the vvt loom I have but no big issue and have the ecu looked at.