Problems connecting Expander.

Arch

Problems connecting Expander.

Post by Arch »

I am having issues connecting my expander and Aim Strada dash at the same time. I have the I/O expander configured and can see all the inputs on SCAL so it seems to be working fine in that sense. The problem I have is when the expander is connected I lose all the canbus info to my dash. I have used a termination resistor at the I/O canbus connection as per instructions so I am at a bit of a loss what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated
pavlo
Zen Performance

Re: Problems connecting Expander.

Post by pavlo »

You cannot connect anything else to the canbus when using the expander. The expander communicates using a propriety protocol at 1.3Mhz whereas high speed CAN buses are usually limited to 1Mhz (1.3Mbit and 1Mbit respectively). You should find however that the expander has a second CAN bus which can be used to pass through the custom can data, so when using the expander you would connect the AIM dash to CAN2 on the expander.

You will need termination at both ends of both busses, the S6 has an inbuilt resistor and I think the X10 does too. TO check measure the resistance across the bus with everything unpowered and you should see a nominal 60ohm resistance (2x 120ohm resistor in parallel, one at each end of the bus).
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

pavlo wrote:, the S6 has an inbuilt resistor and I think the X10 does too
99% sure there's no built-in termination resistor - the loom adapters I make up that use the X10 always need an external resistor wired in.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Paul/Tim thanks for the help.

Paul I Assume you mean like this ?
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

Exactly. Remember to twist your CANbus wires.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Should be 120R resistors not 60R.

60R will be what you measure across the lines (powered off/inactive) when both ends have the correct 120R's fitted.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

pavlo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:01 pm You cannot connect anything else to the canbus when using the expander. The expander communicates using a propriety protocol at 1.3Mhz whereas high speed CAN buses are usually limited to 1Mhz (1.3Mbit and 1Mbit respectively). You should find however that the expander has a second CAN bus which can be used to pass through the custom can data, so when using the expander you would connect the AIM dash to CAN2 on the expander.

You will need termination at both ends of both busses, the S6 has an inbuilt resistor and I think the X10 does too. TO check measure the resistance across the bus with everything unpowered and you should see a nominal 60ohm resistance (2x 120ohm resistor in parallel, one at each end of the bus).
Bumping an old post.

So does this apply to the S8 too ? X10 solely on one CANBus ? with anything else run off the other ?

Wiring info says to connect both CANbus's from the S8, to the X10 ? How would that affect external devices already attached ? if at all ?

Also with the canbus speed differences and desire for EGT....on an S6. Even though present FW doesnt seem to allow it on the input selections...potentially could there be an X10 on an S6, with the KT8 connected to the X10 ?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I am 99% sure that an I/O expander and KT8 can co-exist on the same CANbus (and therefore work on an S6), running in slave mode at 1.3Mbit/s. I actually had the reverse problem a few years back as the KT8 wouldn't work on the S6 CAN bus *unless* it was in slave mode (but that might have evolved/changed now).
Slowie

Post by Slowie »

TimH wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:02 pm I am 99% sure that an I/O expander and KT8 can co-exist on the same CANbus (and therefore work on an S6), running in slave mode at 1.3Mbit/s.
Are you sure? Last I spoke to Ryan he said it was not possible. Would be great if it had changed since!
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Need Syvecs definitive response. Two years ago I was told:
...KT8 is only supported in Slave mode. I now recall why.

The original KT8 code ran *AS A SLAVE* - but of course on a Plus, which is already running as a slave, that wasn't going to work - but it was more the lack of GPS on a Plus that made us look at this, and the KT8 additions were a bonus here.

If you want to run a KT8 without an existing slave link being active, I can send you the necessary firmware to allow it to be a slave itself.
This was when LR GPS data was added to the S6 CAN receive system, so GPS data and KT8 data could be received on a slave link. On an S6, but not an S8 which is a PITA.