Bypass valve for ALS AND Throttle Blip

sicup2

Bypass valve for ALS AND Throttle Blip

Post by sicup2 »

I have a bypass valve set up for ALS and ideally I would like to use the same valve for downshift throttle blip. The valve is open whenever ALS is active so at the moment, setting the throttle blip to use the same valve will have no effect.

Is there any way I can set up the gear linkage loadcell to briefly turn the anti-lag off to remove the ignition retard and allow the blip to occur?

I wondered if it is possible to set the loadcell input to act on the gear blip and cut inputs AND a calibration override or cal switch to briefly switch to a calibration with no ALS, however if I try this in the configuration the inputs are red.

Any other ideas?

Steve C
pavlo
Zen Performance

Re: Bypass valve for ALS AND Throttle Blip

Post by pavlo »

It should remove the retard and the fuel cut (you are using a cut with you ALS right?) automatically when you trigger a throttle blip. It certainly does when using DBW for ALS and blip method.

You should have your als, gear cut, gear blip states and requests logged so you can understand what's happening to start with.

Are you sure of what's happening or are you just not getting an effective blip? What bypass valve are you using? I doubt it will flow enough for a proper blip, I would target 40% open throttle on a 56mm throttle, maybe 30% on a 70mm throttle so your bypass valve needs to be big to get a blip that's good enough for a gearshift even if you have some positive manifold pressure when you're doing it.

Posting a log with the right info on it would definitely help you get answers on a forum.

Cheers

Paul
sicup2

Post by sicup2 »

Thanks Paul, so it should work..

The guy that mapped the engine said it wouldn't due to the anti lag so he took the blip request off the map. Trust me to assume he knows everything! Makes sense really when you mention using DBW - would need to remove the ALS retard and cut whatever blip method you use.

Bypass valve is a solenoid operated valve with a 1 inch bore pipe which by my calculations should flow around 26% of a 56mm throttle. I'll test it without ALS and see how effective it is first then try again with the ALS on.

Engine is getting rebuilt at the moment (due to knocking oil filter off, not mapping issues!) but will test it when I can and get back to you with the results.

Cheers for the input!

Steve C
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

I use anti lag with blip wherever possible, specifically because it can hold the engine back with fuelcut and a little retard on a moderately open throttle using DBW even if I don't then use it on part throttle for true ALS.

How big is your bypass valve? The TIBUC valves the rallycross guys use are pretty damn good, but very expensive! If you are using something like a Bosch 2 wire idle valve it's not going to cut it for doing a blip. I would suggest a mechanical throttle kicker if you really want a positive blip, but I would look at using a separate pedal sensor if you want to do that with good ALS.

If you're using a bypass valve and you want it to blip you can set your "blip duty effect" to be the same bypas valve as is used for the als and/or idle, even if it's just an open/closed valve and not progressive.

Just be aware the blip performance without the ALS compare to with the ALS can vary considerably.
sicup2

Post by sicup2 »

Bypass valve is an inch bore on/off activated by solenoid.

If it not that effective I'll look at going DBW in the future but everything was a bit rushed just getting it ready for its first event with new ECU. It's an Evo 5 rally car used mainly on gravel so the blip maybe isn't as important as a race car but as the ECU has the feature I might as well try it!

"If you're using a bypass valve and you want it to blip you can set your "blip duty effect" to be the same bypass valve as is used for the als and/or idle, even if it's just an open/closed valve and not progressive."

That was how I intended it to work until I was told it wouldn't. I'll have time to test it before my next event so will decide then if I go with it as is or look at changing to DWB in the future. I did leave the original idle control valve wiring in place to give the option of using a stepper-motor controled butterfly from a Kawasaki as a bypass valve but DBW is probably the best way to go long term.

Cheers

Steve C