Wiring two EGT sensors for Big twins setup

markssupra

Re: Wiring two EGT sensors for Big twins setup

Post by markssupra »

Hi all,
I bought this EGT amplifer module to run my 2nd thermocouple, http://thesensorconnection.com/signal-c ... -5-vdc-out, will AU3 (AN07) be suitable to connect to?
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Mark,

AU3 will work just fine for that module, it will happily take a 0-5V signal which the box purports to produce -just remember to set the input configuration to 5V :) It would be worth bearing in mind that if you had one of the AV inputs spare that would be less wasteful, since they can only do 0-5V and not thermistor or speed, but if AU7 is all you have left then it wil be fine :)

Cheers,

Pat.
markssupra

Post by markssupra »

Thanks Pat, I've used all the AV inputs on TPS, MAP, Fuel and Oil pressure.
I do also have the I/O expander to run a paddle shift, would there be any free AV inputs on that?
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

HIya Mark!

The inputs on the I/O expander should be fine running in 5V mode, so yes you could use that if you want.

The reason that I mention the AUs specifically is that they are on the ECU and as such they can be used to measure engine-synchronous things which cannot be done on the I/O expander, so things like variable cam position sensing it only possible on AB and AU pins. You can get speed type signals from an expander, but those cannot be engine synchronous - so you could measure wheel speeds or turbo shaft speed but you could not measure cam position.... this is why I normally try to use the least flexible input that will do a given job, you never know what you'll do in the future and it is good to have flexibility when you need it. Note also that things that benefit from angle averaging (such as MAP) need to be on the ECU not an expander - things that are not engine-synchronous such as brake pressure can quite happily go on an expander.

Hope this makes sense,

Pat.
markssupra

Post by markssupra »

Hi Pat, yes it does make sense.
Thank you very much for your advice :)