2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Jackstrath

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by Jackstrath »

Yup i dont understand.

I did some more logging there today and it seems ok? Again no spikes or dropouts, car actually drove pretty good. Idle is still an issue, but my mapper will easily fix that.

Yeh the VCDS is a bit confusing to me. i forgot what the codes were (since found them as 18201 - Transmission Output Speed Sensor 2 (G196) & 17106 - Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195))

I really need to look and try log them and see what they do, if i even can.

The errors above still appear but the box doesn't seem to be going into lockout any more. Before, once i shifted into netual i wouldn't be able to come back out of it unless i cycled the ignition.That doesn't seem to be the case any more?

Iv sent beek and email as well with the logs i posted here. They actually confirmed the sensors looked ok, they have asked if the TCU belongs to the gearbox with the thinking that the firmware doesn't match the mechanical gear ratios. I don't have access to anything that lets me cross ref this, but a bit of googling says that TCU firm wear is 02E 300 042 Q and the box is code - Hut 03 06 05 14 13 56 0490 do belong in a golf GTi.

Iv sent them a email back asking about the error codes and if MPH/KPH would cause an issue!

Here is a little video of it working. I'm not over 20% throttle here so the changes arnt the fastest, hoping it speeds up with a bit more of the loud peddle haha https://youtu.be/owi1otTvXbo
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

So just a bit of an update from beek....

The gearbox has internal sensors.... it then uses the syvecs inputted sensors to cross ref them..... would of been handy to know that! hahaha! Iv asked if the MPH/KPH thing causes a issue as well so will hear back...

So that gives me ammo to now do get the wheel speed calibrated and try again! :lol:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So that's what the issue is ?

I presume just change the speeds to kph in SCal.

At the minute your speeds are correct in mph, so just switching should make them tally up with the kph in the box ok ?
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Well i dont know if my wheel speed is correct..... I have noticed the tyre circumference is different, iv got 1.5m in there when my 255/35/18 works out to be 1996cm. Iv never looked at it since moving to the S7, on the S6 i only needed it to give me a speedo for road driving nothing else. il need to turn on the racelogic and get the speed off its GPS and cross ref.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:03 pm Well i dont know if my wheel speed is correct..... I have noticed the tyre circumference is different, iv got 1.5m in there when my 255/35/18 works out to be 1996cm. Iv never looked at it since moving to the S7, on the S6 i only needed it to give me a speedo for road driving nothing else. il need to turn on the racelogic and get the speed off its GPS and cross ref.
On your log, your mph at specific points corresponds to the kph reading from the vcds log.

The short section after the first long stop, you can see both are logging the same thing from the identical shape of the speed trace.

Your fastest speed there ( from memory, didn't open it again ) was around 39kph, 25mph
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

25mph.jpg
25mph.jpg (289.24 KiB) Viewed 111170 times
39kph.jpg
39kph.jpg (328.02 KiB) Viewed 111170 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Or is what you're logging via VCDS...just what it is receiving from the Syvecs in terms of vehicle speed for both ?

Maybe that's why they're the same ? but different.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

What’s metalog!? That looks much better than the excel document 🤣

Well that’s what I’m thinking it’s coming from the syvecs. Or as I don’t think Iv been logging the two sensors that are faulting… but I can’t seem to see them in the softwear but il have another look and see what I can see!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Megalog viewer, derived from Megasquirt etc but it's a pretty good generic datalog viewer for all sorts of files.

Not as good as SView for Syvecs files. But SView is a nightmare to import .csv files or other types of log files

MLV is dead handy in that regard

https://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Cheers steve, downloaded the free one and played about with it, took a second to figure out how to get the names of the sensors in the right place but figured it out.

Soo Beek got back to me and the MPH/KPH thing doesnt matter as long as they read the same once converted.

But iv went off on a mission to sort the Wheel speed out, taking Beeks minimum spec to head, iv got a friend in the single seater group to design a 20 tooth wheel for going onto the outer CV (see attached photo) so this should give me a much more accurate read out.
But im tight for space so asked for a recommendation on a speed sensor and this is what he suggested....
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/proximit ... mn_5bWPifo

So with out giving it any thought i went and bought 2 of them, wired it up, plugged it into the loom to check it works and it doesnt..... why because its 10v minimum... So next question is how do i get around that? is it a simple case of wiring the live that originally was 5v to a 12v output? will it be as simple as that? Or will the syvecs not allow that due to the input type being 5v?
Attachments
ring.JPG
ring.JPG (48 KiB) Viewed 111113 times