CAN Receive

ian_w

CAN Receive

Post by ian_w »

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I should start out by saying that I am using a Life Racing F88RS. I have found this forum and your YouTube channel a big help in getting running on the F88 as there is virtually no documentation about this unit and Life have not replied to any of my email questions.

I now have a question where I cannot find the answer - as the F88 and Syvecs are so closely related I thought I would post my question here in the hope that one of the experts on this forum can help.

I'm running a Shiftec Air Power Source ( pneumatic compressor ) for my shift system. The Shiftec unit sends out a number of CAN messages on the status of the unit and in particular I am interested in receiving the System Pressure value in the ECU for logging purposes.

I've setup the Custom CAN, created a User Defined variable ( with appropriate scaling ) and used the I/O Configuration to set this to a particular CAN message. I am receiving data but the issue is that once the pressure goes beyond half scale of the parameter ( 6.4 bar in this case as full scale is 12.8 bar ) then the value turns negative.

It would seem that the ECU is expecting the CAN message to be 'Signed' whereas in fact the Shiftec is sending an 'Unsigned' message. I have looked through all the parameters within LifeCal and can't find anyway to change to an Unsigned message. Can you offer some advice and point me in the right direction?

Ian
gazzasti1

Re: CAN Receive

Post by gazzasti1 »

hi

I just had this issue with a s7 plus the other week .

My fix was get the product designer (shiftec in your position ? )to modify the can setup to match signed as that what the ecu wants to see .

It now works fine .
ian_w

Post by ian_w »

Thanks for the reply. I suppose it is good that I haven't missed anything obvious, however I'm not sure how viable it will be for Shiftec to provide me with a custom firmware for the unit with a new CAN config.

My other plan was to get up to speed with Arduinos and use one of these to manipulate the CAN messages myself. This may be a better long term solution.

The system pressure is typically above 6.4 bar most of the time, so at the moment I have a work around of adding a constant 12.8 bar to the output so most of the time it reads right but then if it drops below 6.4 it will read around 19 bar.

Ian
gazzasti1

Post by gazzasti1 »

I have just installed a ecu master v3 and thats working perfect .

i am sure they will do a firwmware update to match a ecus datastream setup .

pm me if you need any help

regards
gaz
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Guess the $1m question is whether the ECU vendor should allow loads of flexibility in CAN configuration to allow you to match the setup to 3rd party equipment, or if the 3rd part equipment vendor should adjust their CAN data to match the ECU's demands.

Discuss :ugeek: :lol:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If the ecu supplier does not offer similar product...why not encourage external devices to be easily usable with that ecu, which can only enhance the user experience of the ecu ?

And the easier it is to use, the more people would be willing to use it etc.

But true, at the same time, those makers of external devices should be able to cater their universal product, to the wide range of ecu's people may wish to use their product with.
brettshiftec

Post by brettshiftec »

Hey Stevie,

Send me an email at info@shiftec.com and I'll pop it into our support system to see if we can help!

Thanks (and thanks for using our products!)

Brett

PS yes I did make an account just to reply to this!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

brettshiftec wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:16 pm Hey Stevie,

Send me an email at info@shiftec.com and I'll pop it into our support system to see if we can help!

Brett

Good stuff, but I believe it was Ian asking originally.
brettshiftec

Post by brettshiftec »

stevieturbo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:32 pm
brettshiftec wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:16 pm Hey Stevie,

Brett

Good stuff, but I believe it was Ian asking originally.
Oops, it was Friday, I'll blame that! ;)
ian_w

Post by ian_w »

Thanks for the reply Brett. The problem is not the end of the world as it works 99% of the time. I've contacted your support in the past in order to get the CAN message details from the APS.

Now that trackdays are back on, I can get the car on track and start calibrating the shifts. If the CAN messages become a real problem then I'll drop you an email.

Ian