S6Plus Ethernet not connecting on new laptop

Hugh

S6Plus Ethernet not connecting on new laptop

Post by Hugh »

Bought myself a slick new top of the line Dell laptop, did not realise it came without an Ethernet port.

I bought a USB C Ethernet adaptor (USB 3.0) which works fine when connecting to a local network, it does not however connect to my Syvecs ECU.

My old laptop connects fine to my Syvecs Ethernet cable, so it's not the ECU or cable.

Is there anything that I can investigate to make adjustments to connect to my S6Plus?

Thanks

Hugh
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: S6Plus Ethernet not connecting on new laptop

Post by TimH »

I have a hunch that it's to do with the way the Syvecs software expects to connect via Ethernet vs the way the USB adapter expects to connect.

Syvecs/Life Racing devices do not connect using an IP address bit at a lower level of the Ethernet structure.

I wonder if the Ethernet to USB is dependent on DHCP to get an IP address and, thereby, establish a connection. This won't work with Syvecs. But it is only a theory, so of little help really :roll:
HD_Goofnut

Post by HD_Goofnut »

Hugh wrote:Bought myself a slick new top of the line Dell laptop, did not realise it came without an Ethernet port.

I bought a USB C Ethernet adaptor (USB 3.0) which works fine when connecting to a local network, it does not however connect to my Syvecs ECU.

My old laptop connects fine to my Syvecs Ethernet cable, so it's not the ECU or cable.

Is there anything that I can investigate to make adjustments to connect to my S6Plus?

Thanks

Hugh
Did you get anywhere with this?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Ryan advised that the USB adapters that have Realtek chipsets are the ones to go for.

When the Dell USB C did not work, I purchased a TP-Link UE300 USB 3.0 adapter, this also did not work, both of these have Realtek chipsets.

Finally got Dell to install a new set of drivers from the Realtek site and now have the Dell USB C and the TP-Link UE300 USB 3.0 adapter working.

Interestingly the adapters did not work immediately the drivers were installed, I plugged and unplugged the adapters several times before the Dell USB C connected, this was while the car was linked to my Wifi network, so there might have been something else working in the background that finally made them talk.
ATOMIC

Post by ATOMIC »

I know this has been answered but you could always used a travel router and use your WiFi. The TP-Link Routers I use are not much bigger and a box of matches.

I have my ecu, pdu and dash all plugged into a Brainboxes SW-005 12v Ethernet switch with the last two ports hosting a sealed Ethernet socket (just in-case) and a TP-Link TL-WR802N travel router. Works a treat.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

ATOMIC wrote:I know this has been answered but you could always used a travel router and use your WiFi. The TP-Link Routers I use are not much bigger and a box of matches.

I have my ecu, pdu and dash all plugged into a Brainboxes SW-005 12v Ethernet switch with the last two ports hosting a sealed Ethernet socket (just in-case) and a TP-Link TL-WR802N travel router. Works a treat.
Yep...cheap and cheerful, use them myself.
ciphermonk

Post by ciphermonk »

I run into this issue occasionally when connecting via my virtual machine. The quickest way to fix the problem is to the following:

1. Ensure the USB ethernet adapter is plugged in
2. Open the Windows Task Manager and locate the process called "Life Racing Ethernet Protocol Server".
3. Right click on the process and then select "End Task"
4. Restart Scal, SData, etc. (Note. It will take a few seconds to start)

Alternatively you can reboot the computer with the USB ethernet adapter plugged in and it should work. Killing/Restarting the protocol server process is faster though.
rac

Post by rac »

ATOMIC wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 am I know this has been answered but you could always used a travel router and use your WiFi. The TP-Link Routers I use are not much bigger and a box of matches.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, if you only had the ECU - can you plug the ECU ethernet cable directly into the TP-Link TL-WR802N travel router and communicate with the ECU via Wifi (from laptop / tablet)? Or is the brainbox required no matter how many inputs?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yes
rac

Post by rac »

yes to first question, or second question? lol.