Inputs over canbus? Cockpit expander

thisguy

Re: Inputs over canbus? Cockpit expander

Post by thisguy »

Cosworth makes a CAN Switch Hub. It is intended to be fitted into a steering wheel hub to act as an interface between steering wheel switches/rotary pots and a CAN enabled logger, ECU or dash. It has one CAN bus, 5 analog inputs, 12 digital inputs, 5 LED outputs, 2 low side 100ma outputs and a RS232 bus for programming. I am not sure of the pricing but, I am sure it isn't cheap. It may be less expensive than the Syvecs I/O expander.

https://www.cosworth.com/wp-content/upl ... 79-PIS.pdf

FWIW, I am running a MoTeC PDM15 with a Keypad 15 connected to a LR F88 GDI4. I have configured the PDM/Keypad to do functions and send/recieve data on the CAN bus. CAL switching and Pit limit switching. I am also using the CAN bus to transmit fuel pump, fan requests and channel confirmations to the PDM. Then brake sw, water/meth tank level switch, CAL Sw position, ALS state, Water/Meth requests, RPM for auto starting, TPS, PDM output channel currents for the ECU to log.

I have a pit limiter button on the key pad. The LEDs for the pit limit button are set to show that the pit limit was requested by the PDM(green LED) and when the ECU activates the Pit limit the PDM will acknowledge and display via the yellow and red LEDs flashing. The PDM will flash the headlights and running lights when pit limit is active as well. This is just a very small amount that I am using the CAN bus between the ECU and PDM for.

If you have enough auxillary loads, Fuel/aux water pumps, Fans, High current coils, you may be able to justify a PDM/Keypad combo. Being able to program functions into the PDM makes it a bit more versatile than just an CAN I/O board. Once you overlook that it doesnt have an 0-5v inputs. That is what the keypad and the functions are for
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

thisguy wrote: FWIW, I am running a MoTeC PDM15 with a Keypad 15 connected to a LR F88 GDI4
As has been said, you can't use CANbus to get extra I/O into an S6I or S6plus, and only way on an S6-GP (which is no longer sold) is to use the 1.33Mbit/s slave protocol: there's no "generic receive" on the S6, no ability to receive inputs from a PDU/PDM - but, yes, you use generic transmit to control a PDU/PDM for fan drive etc.
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

I didnt see these replies and forgot to reply after steve mentions Tims expander, which I actually really like the look of, and with the GPS built in the price is actually pretty reasonable.

If i decide to go drive by wire i think that is what will push me to go for an expander, but for the time being ill just be making do with what i have, my problem is i like tinkering and trying things out just to learn more, sp the idea of playing with the can-bus was quite appealing haha

Interesting replies tho, thanks!

Graeme
MR2 Turbo 5sgte 750hp 527ft/lb Syvecs S6
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I would say there could be a market for a simple input expander with a handful or more of inputs...if it could be cheap enough. But there probably are devices on the market that do this already if they could be configured....and the desire ecu can accept the inputs.

If someone buys me one of the above, I'll try lol.
MReilly

Post by MReilly »

I was a bit disappointed to find that once you have the slave link hooked up (in my case I got the X10 to expand my S6GP a bit) you lose all hopes of any input CAN messages on the 2nd CAN. Seemingly can't use anything else with it now the slave is on, so I couldn't even use the Syvecs/Life GPS module.

I was kind of hoping to blag some stuff back into the ECU by having an AIM Dash pose as the M4 ABS, but as soon as you tick the "receive Bosch M4 ABS" bit with the slave connected and hit program you just get told you are a mad man.

Not the end of the world though, got plenty of IO to be going at, just like the OP I like to maximise my bang / £!

A little side tangent;
stevie wrote:Blip/cut are distinct features and as such require dedicated inputs
Could you blag this onto one input by rigging up a circuit that floats at ~2.5 volts and goes high or low for blip / cut, then tell the ECU it's a shifter load cell?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

MReilly wrote:
Could you blag this onto one input by rigging up a circuit that floats at ~2.5 volts and goes high or low for blip / cut, then tell the ECU it's a shifter load cell?
That is how they are normally achieved.

Although obviously then the blip eats up more inputs as it will then be DBW, which uses a few.

Ultimately the main limitation you're experiencing is the S6 itself, which perhaps with hindsight might have been a less ideal choice than say an S8.

I have been through it myself, I did start with a S6 but was aware it was a stepping stone to an S8 when I could afford it. It obviously has more I/O to start with, but with a couple of CAN buses, gives you a lot more freedom again to add stuff on if needed too.

Although I just use mine with the SDM500 Dash which feeds back GPS data, and then an 8xEGT amp which also feeds back to the S8
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

GPS and motion sensor data can, now, coexist with an i/o expander, but the S6 does have to be running very recent firmware.
MReilly

Post by MReilly »

Yeah i'm starting to see that an upgrade to an S8 down the line is in my future too!

That's interesting Tim, I've got the version 1.93.5 firmware which I thought was the newest one? I shall have to revisit that as it would be a nice addition the GPS/Yaw/G jobby

At least any expansion modules are still relevant if I do go to an S8 eventually. At the time it was a financial decision totally to go S6, as it's only a little old fwd car! The more interested I get in it all the more stuff I find myself wanting. Still, be a good way to learn the platform for me.
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

Just bringing this back to life as i can't help wanting to play around, I noticed someone mentioned this in another thread and it sounded pretty interesting.

https://www.ecumaster.co.uk/can-switchboard

Has anyone used one before? To keep it cheap I'd want to avoid buying the USB to can tool for programming and just use the fixed settings.

I only had a brief look but it appears to come configured for a couple of 0-5v sensors, not sure if the inputs are uni polar etc, and some rotary and on off switches.

Would this be a suitable cheap upgrade?

If I could move my cal switch, tc switch, clutch switch, rolling boost switch ( and possibly front wheel abs sensor for tc) it would reduce my wiring and give me at least 4 direct ecu inputs back to play with! My ecu is in the boot so I have a loom to the front dash which I could bin and just have a can bus pair

Anyone with more technical knowledge give some info on this?

Thanks

Graeme
MR2 Turbo 5sgte 750hp 527ft/lb Syvecs S6
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

You're still on an S6? So no ability to receive input data via CAN except using the slave protocol, which nothing other than Syvecs/Life Racing-specific IO expander units support.

But the module looks to be fairly good value for sure!

To receive data using "normal" CANbus you will need S7plus or S8.