Intermitent connection problems

yorl

Intermitent connection problems

Post by yorl »

I have an S6 installed in a customer car, been running for a while. As soon as I strapped the car on the dyno I am having this problem, the connection to the computer is resetting every now and again, VERY annoying, and making it next to impossibe to tune.
I have tried with another laptop, and I have the same problem. One of them is XP and the other is Windows 8. I also changed the ethernet cable from the ecu to the computer, just in case... Ideas?
stevieturbo

Re: Intermitent connection problems

Post by stevieturbo »

Check cable from the ethernet connector to the ecu itself ?

or is the problem only on the dyno ?
yorl

Post by yorl »

I changed the ethernet from my computer to the ECU, with new pins. The problem is not only on the dyno, also when it's on the floor. Everything was ok on Thursday, and then it had a stroke on Friday... :evil:
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

PnP or GP?

If PnP might be worth checking that the Ethernet socket contacts are not bent, that the pins are soldered to the carrier properly and are not shorting on the case. Also, if the case has had to be modifed to provide the space/cutout for the Ethernet socket, maybe the case is making intermittent contact with the connector and causing grounding issues?

If it's a GP, then if you have replaced the Ethernet cable and S6 crimp pins then suggests it's a problem with the ECU board itself, although might be worth checking that the GP header is soldered OK as well?
yorl

Post by yorl »

It's a GP. I'll go back to the shop now and have a look at the connector, see what's going on. Is there another reason why the connection would reset like that? Interference or something like that...
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Ethernet uses a CAT5 (or 6) twisted pair cable so it shouldn't be prone to interference. It is transformer coupled, so shouldn't be dependent on potential differences between the laptop and ECU.

But, that said, I do know that some others have experienced similar problems but I don't know how they solved it. One for Syvecs support maybe?