Linux?

JonRB

Linux?

Post by JonRB »

Just wondering what language the software is written in and if it will run under Linux? If it's written in C# or VB.NET (ie. a .NET language) then it should run under Linux ok.
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: Linux?

Post by pat »

Jon,

Much as I would like to get a Linux version out there, the reality of the situation is that most people use windoze on their computers and the time and effort required to port the apps over far exceed the potential benefits. I would suggest that if you need to run the SSuite apps on a computer that has a *nix operating system then your best bet is to use a VM. You can get Oracle VirtualBox for free (both OSE and PUEL), and you can get VMWare Player free too, so just build a 'doze XP VM and bridge the Ethernet interface.

Whilst you may consider trying the SSuite under WINE that almost certainly won't work because the Ethernet driver (the ECU doesn't use IP) is a 'doze driver and I suspect that WINE isn't going to "do that", whereas the VM based solution does definitely work.

Cheers,

Pat.
JonRB

Re: Linux?

Post by JonRB »

Hi Pat.

I'm guessing it's C++ or Java rather than C# then? :)

Okies, no probs; it was worth asking.

I'm a Windows developer myself (C++) only I find Linux convenient to run on my laptop, that's all. If necessary I'll have to install WinXP as a dual boot on the laptop.

Cheers
Jon