Honda K series Crank & Cam Type

pavlo
Zen Performance

Re: Honda K series Crank & Cam Type

Post by pavlo »

I think what I have done is not reverse the order of the gaps on the gap definitions.

The first two gaps, max gaps and min gaps all need to be swapped.

I would also use rising edge for the crank trigger too.
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Hi Pavlo,

I tried changing MIN?max gaps but still no spark and Fuel.

Then I made to YES Disable Maximun Gap width Checking and it started up :) but an error TIMER OVERFLOW all the way from start to finish is up.
I went to the original settings you sent me and fault wise is better only at startup/cranking shows up Long tooth gap or short tooth gap so atleast its running now but not sure if it is right to disable it.

But now I have something moreon my mind. I was syncing the ignition timing by changing Crank Reference tooth angle and I ended to 25Deg, and both strobe and Gauge IGNFinal1 shows the same but for me engine is retarded even EGTs show 500c in idling!!!
Syncstate is 720 on logging all the way.
Could it be firing in wastespark mode? doubling the output?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

There are 3 tables you need to edit.

The actual gap definition, the min and max gaps.

Essentially it should be:

20-10-30-30-30-30-30-30-30-30-30-30-30 gap def
10-5-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15 min gap
30-15-45-45-45-45-45-45-45-45-45-45-45 max gap

I think!
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

I suspect you're not going into 720sync. If you want to check the timing in wasted spark, ensure it's at zero but this means you will need to set you main main and all the idle and other compensations all to zero.
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Pavlo,I tried your settings and it starts and also goes to 720 with no errors or faults ...great work :)

But now i have something else. Ignition timing is drifting by RPM the more i rev the more the advance. Maps set to 20Deg and Gauge shows IgnFinalpri1 at 20 and timing drifts by rpm.

I set the Crank Reference tooth angle and checked it while cranking and was ok, then i started and found it 45deg from the 20deg in the map!!!

Normally drifting occurs because ECU ign output does not match Ignitor input. MY setup is M&W Pro 14 CDI and AEM CDI individual coils, set at falling edge, what is the output from
the S8?

Also Lambda is showing way rich than my AEM and PLC external widebands so maybe i need a different linearisation from the L2H2 i have.

Thanks alot.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

You need to add some pulldown resistors on the ignition outputs, I have used 100ohm with the M&W CDI and it keeps the timing rock solid. Just add it between the output and ground, this will pull the output hard down to 0v after the signal has ended. What you currently have is a delay of some ms or fraction of a ms and this means at high RPM the ignition is more retarded.
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Thanks Paul.
What i am seeing is advance with more revs. at 2000rpm its 20deg at 3000 its 30deg and 4000rpm its 40-45deg.
So you recommend adding 100ohm on each output and grounding them......will try them, On the positive side of the coil u mean and not the negative?
Do you have a Lambda linearisation for the L2H2 as mine is showing very rich compared to AEM

Cheers
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

Between ground and the ignition outputs on the ECU itself.

I would have expected there to be retarding ignition, which means you should probably check which edge the ignition is triggering on, this is configurable on an M&W and needs to be set to the default FALLING EDGE, remove and jumper between the "signal edge" and "signal ground" pins (as per M&W instructions).
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Ahh on ecu side....ok then.
The M&W is as per instruction to Falling Edge no jumper wire. If you connect Trigger edge to signal ground it will be rising edge, i have not jumpered them.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

Do the resistor mod then.