Wiring CAN

HondaDrag

Wiring CAN

Post by HondaDrag »

Hi I am about to wire the the Syvecs S8 to the Racetechnolgy Logger DL1 Mk3 and would like some help.

The logger has a DB9 male connector with CAN H and CAN L to connect to.

The distance from the logger to S8 ecu is maybe max 30cm, so should i connect it directly by wiring the S8 CAN H and CAN L using a female DB9 and just that or i need to add a resistor between CAN H and CAN L for the system to work, as it seems that the cable must have a certain resistance to work properly.

Thanks for help.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Re: Wiring CAN

Post by pavlo »

No resistor required but twist wires and it should be fine.
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Thanks for help Pavlo, I was going to use 2 core 0.5mm2 shielded cable, not sure if it is twisted, and shield to power ground on ecu side.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

I use 24awg Raychem jacketed shielded twisted pair with shield grounded to power ground on long runs, but for something around 300mm I would just twist up some 22awg. Canbus is quite noise immune because it's differential, when the can HI is at +5v the low is at 0v, but when can HI is at 0v, can LO switches to +5v.

If you have heavy solenoids running PWM or high level ignition signals coming out the ECu I would be tempted to twist those wires to help reduce radiated emissions of you're having noise problems.