Gear Blip Settings Info

Trickster

Gear Blip Settings Info

Post by Trickster »

I have 2 large bypass valves installed for antilag, I decided to see if they flow enough air for a gear blip and they do.
I have made a switch arrangement so i get my usual gear cut with the clutch alone, and a gear blip request when i am on the brake and clutch
Just after some terminology translation!
Blip target for gear and rpm is represented as a percentage, percentage of what? I thought it was throttle or bypass duty etc but not sure
Roll on rate? Is this how long the blip carries on for after the request ends? as a percentage of the set blip time?
Blip trail time and target?

Any general info would be appreciated
It is a H pattern box

Thanks
Graeme
MR2 Turbo 5sgte 750hp 527ft/lb Syvecs S6
Jackstrath

Re: Gear Blip Settings Info

Post by Jackstrath »

Can I ask you to share some of your switch arrangement ?

Im in the same as you, H pattern dog box and although i can clutch less up shift in slow speed scenarios its not ideal, but iv only managed to figure out how to get the car to blip using the T off my Clutch switch, so was thinking about doing it in series with the brake light switch so it only blips on down change.
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

You can set both cut and blip to the clutch switch, and set the tps load so it knows if you are off throttle. I set mine to 2 percent so it blips when I am off throttle and cuts when on throttle

This is usually OK as when I upshift I am still coming off the throttle however sometimes I am completely off when shifting casually, usually into 5th gear, so I get a blip which is annoying.

I actually only used the above setting to see if I could get an effective blip with my bypass valves, which I did, so thoughts I'd try it for a while, but I have now disabled it until I can fit the brake switch.

I have tested the switch arrangement and it gives a blip a request when on the clutch and brake, cut when clutching, and no change when braking only.

Also figured out my own blip settings through some trial and error and it works really nicely, the limiter holds it perfect, so looking forward to using it again

I have tried to attach a picture of a drawing to help you out, you just need to alter your settings in manual shift mode so it is nominally at 2.5v and blip/cut active high and low etc

Resistor is 3k

Graeme
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

Just to add, I am actually using a relay for the brake switch, using the brake light 12v to power the coil, it was difficult enough adding a clutch switch so decided this was the easier option the the brake pedal already having a switch on it.

Grarme
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Thanks for the drawing and getting back to me!

Im lucky where both my clutch and brakes have switches already in place!

Imageswitchs by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

You seem to know more about wiring than me (you use resistors haha!) do you think it is possible to make what i have work without using a relay?

Have turned on notifications now haha
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

Hi mate, I am no automotive electrician. I am an electrician by trade, but it's alot different! I know enough about electronics to get me by tho.

I don't think you will be able to get away without adding relays or switches to your setup, if the current ones are 12v then you can use them to trigger some standard relays to get the effect, which is what I'd personally do to save messing with the stock wiring (I don't know what your brake and clutch switches do but I am guessing the ecu has no connection to them and you have no canbus?) obviously the brake triggers the lights.

Sorry I can't be much use, its the kind of thing I'd work out hands on if you know what I mean!

Graeme
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

I have mine setup fully now, with the wiring as shown but using a relay on the brake pedal light switch, the ecu does see a false gear blip request when pressing the clutch due to the open circuit between contacts, using a relay off a clutch pedal switch might solve this as the relay will have a much faster changeover

However I set the gear blip validation to 12ms and it works perfectly