2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

stevieturbo

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by stevieturbo »

Any water type sensor that ends up in air, will not read particularly well.

So it would make sense to install the main ECT in a suitable and functional location.

As for the boiling over, losing water etc, monitor ECP, Engine coolant pressure and you can apply safeties based around both to cover too much, and in the event of say a burst hose, too little.
Slowie

Post by Slowie »

Or switch to Evans waterless coolant. With it's extremely high boiling point, it doesn't build any pressure. During endurance races we can open the cap during a pitstop, no boiling over, no pressure in the pipes.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

In use the system will still see some pressure. On a friends it generally gets to around 3-400mbar when racing.

But it also cools worse than water, I'm sure it is decent enough and does have some benefits, but I wouldnt use it in my engine.

Pressure in the cooling system isnt necessarily a bad thing, especially if it is prone to air traps
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

yeh i wouldnt use evans coolant in my car anyway,

the dry air sensor was more of a back up to have as a second reading that was all i might change it to my gearbox oil temp instead.

I had another few hours on the dyno today, car is basically done, happy with how its performing, 2 things i couldn't get done for what ever reason im not sure.
1. fuel overrun cut off/on on certain cals? its ether on for them all or off for them all? anyone know if you can just have say cal's 4,5,6 with fuel cut off and 1,2,3 with it on ?
2. the gear indicator wont work? tried to do it with the drive ratios, iv just looked actually and seen that "enable gear position from wheel speed" is disabled ? should that be enabled ?

also had an issue with the plex dash showing syvecs CAL 1 file as CAL 0 on the dash, quick email to plex and the sorted that right out! happy chappy!

Still having the oil temp jump to Max value on first start, weird one that!

Thanks again for the help!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

1. Pretty sure overrun cut is either off or on...not really sure why you'd want it off or on with different cals anyway ?

2. If you do not have a gear pot and want the ecu to calculate gears, then yes that needs enabled

Plex would be an easy fix on their user software or via the menu on the dash, just +1 to the selection

As for your oil temp...no clue on that one. Is it going to a max value or the default value ? How is it wired and exactly what sensor ?
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

1. Yeh it seems that way, I was wanting it on for driving about on the road stop it dumping and using excessive fuel, but off on a track map

2. Ok il try turn that on and see if it works

Oil temp just go’s to the high set value which in my case is 120oC , it was the Bosch M12 tempsensors, tryed a 2nd oil temp sensor and it did the same, changed to a Bosch m12-H (so new plug and Cal file for the sensor) and it still does it, only thing I havnt tryed with the new sensor is putting the oil temp loom plug onto the water temp (as I changed it as well) and seeing if it does the same
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So it's quite clear the sensor is not the problem.

Sounds like your wiring in some respect

As you say if you could swap about say oil and water temp and change the I/O to suit, to see if the problem persist on that particular input, then you can check wiring relating to it.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

ok so had a play about with the gear indicator and cant seem to get it to work :(

heres the setting i have ?

Imagea1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Imagea2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Imagea3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

should i set anything in the gear position drop down tab?
Imagea4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

thanks
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

What do you have configured for driven vehicle speed and does this give you a correct speed reading ?

When driving etc, does the drive ratio field give you a number ? Drive, and either log or view it and that is what you need to fill in that table, after speed readings etc are working correctly.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

driven vech speed is set to AVG ALL and yes the speedo reads 1mph fast at 70mph