Knock sensor - shielded cable?

dr_jones

Knock sensor - shielded cable?

Post by dr_jones »

Pretty sure on this but could anyone conform I *should* ideally be using a shielded cable for connecting a regular bosch type knock sensor? Only my adapter loom was supplied with non-shielded twisted pair.
T04GTR

Re: Knock sensor - shielded cable?

Post by T04GTR »

technically, probs a good idea. but twisted should be fine. i know alot of oem use single core shielded. ie assuming signal on the inside and gnd as the shield.

unless the loom has the knock sensor wires running parallel next to the coil or injector wires or hopefully not next to a cdi box or something.

(im not an expert, but know enough to get myself in trouble..)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

obviously the ecu pins are not shielded or twisted, nor are the tracks inside the ecu...

So does it need twisted, shielded etc etc....probably yes when the cable is in an environment at risk of exposure to stuff it needs shielded from lol.

Short run on a patch ? probably not.

Long run through an engine bay, then yes it could make sense.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Cheers chaps.
davidmcluckie

Post by davidmcluckie »

Sorry to resurrect/hijack this thread. My mapper has advised me to replace the standard knock sensor with a Bosch wideband one with a shielded cable. Where do I connect the shielding wire too?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

davidmcluckie wrote:Sorry to resurrect/hijack this thread. My mapper has advised me to replace the standard knock sensor with a Bosch wideband one with a shielded cable. Where do I connect the shielding wire too?
Chassis ground: ecu end, not sensor end.
davidmcluckie

Post by davidmcluckie »

Thank you.
davidmcluckie

Post by davidmcluckie »

So. I made the mistake of assuming this would be easy.

Where do I wire my Bosch Wideband Knock sensor into this?

At least the wideband lambda has its own plug. :)
Last edited by davidmcluckie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

You wire it in place of the existing connection to the knock sensor.

Looks like an 01-05 Impreza PnP? If so, the OEM knock sensor is fine, and uses screened cable in the engine and vehicle so you don't really need to change it unless it's faulty. This doesn't tally with you having a patch loom though?
davidmcluckie

Post by davidmcluckie »

Welcome to my car. Someone half-installed the Syvecs with no wideband lambda, stock boost controller and stock MAP sensor.

Jamie at EvoTune said I should replace the knock sensor with the wideband one and I ordered that from you along with the other bits he recommended.

I'm assuming the two wires coming from the sensor are the same wire just split to make a twisted pair and I just join them together at the input on the Syvecs? And the shield wire to chassis ground.