Internal log memory log file management

dr_jones

Internal log memory log file management

Post by dr_jones »

Does anyone know if its at all possible to alter how the S6+ manages log files within its internal memory - as we're limited to 1MB (unless streaming) - it'd be very nice to have some control over how and when log files were overwritten.

I believe the current state after clearing down all logs is (and where we're exceeding a 1mb log is) --> memory fills up with a large log --> ecu dumps the log --> memory fills up with large log --> ecu dumps log, etc etc

It's be nice to have the option to stop loggin once mem full but even nicer to limit each log file size - so say set the log fiel size max to 1/3 memory and then know that whaever happened you'd always have at least 2 sizeable logs to analyse.

Right now I've been caught out a few times by ending up with a tiny log file as I've finished my run a few minutes after the log file reached max size and was then over written...

-maybe this is a feature request....?
stevieturbo

Re: Internal log memory log file management

Post by stevieturbo »

I think it simply overwrites old data with new. It doesnt actually dump an entire log and start afresh, at least that's what a regular S6 does. So it's always just the oldest data that is overwritten on a bit by bit basis.

Obviously in SCfg you can alter logging rates of various items and what is to be logged. And between that and Burst modes available, you should be able to make very good use of the 1MB. But if you start logging things fast like knock info etc...that will decimate memory/bandwidth.

So with a little effort you can get a lot from 1MB...but it is still only 1MB :(
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Ah interesting - if its doing that then great! I confess I usually just clear all the logs after each download - I probably shouldn't do that..

After a bit more 'testing' what it does do is create a new log on every key cycle event - (poss ign off / ign on - not sure) - what I'm now wondering now is how it deals with cleaning these logs down - will it start dumping those older logs once there is insuffucient space to create a new log (ie once its re-writing the current log bit by bit in an entirely full internal mem - have stopped clearing down my logs in an attempt to see - will know tomorrow I guess!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Obviously the off/on parameters set when any ,log file starts and stops. But it does simply just overwrite the oldest data on a bit by bit basis.

The logs are all saved in real time, with time stamps so easy to locate what you want

I'm 99% sure files do not get overwritten on a file by file basis, because on say a few drag runs, where you havent saved files for some time and old stuff is being overwritten....the oldest file might download with say 1st and 2nd gear missing from the run. But clearly it would not have saved like that.
It's just the oldest data has been overwritten
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Cool - cheers.