Connecting Vbox video data logger, CAN settings

toby69

Connecting Vbox video data logger, CAN settings

Post by toby69 »

Hi, I've been looking into fitting a Racelogic VBOX video data logger into my car. The car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza and it has a Syvecs S6 PNP fitted along with a toucan screen.

The VBOX connects to the CANbus to get its information. Where do I find out the CAN output definitions/parameters for the like of Revs, throttle position etc? as it looks like I would need to enter these manually into the VBOX
They did say if I had the correct DBC file I could load that into the VBOX

Has anyone used/fitted a VBOX before that might have a file or even better know the CAN definitions/parameters I'm looking for or where to find them?
It's probably very simple but sounds complicated to me.

Here is the link to the information I got from Racelogic of how to uplaod the CAN information to the VBOX manually

https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Motors ... _CAN_Setup

Any help or pointers on this would be greatly received
stevieturbo

Re: Connecting Vbox video data logger, CAN settings

Post by stevieturbo »

The CAN output is fully configurable, and it seems their CAN input is also fully configurable.

So it might be worth asking VBox if they already have a config that is up and running for theirs ?

And if you supply CAN to the VBox, you'll probably need to use the serial output on the S6 to feed the Toucan.

Or maybe the Toucan could supply the CAN data to the VBox
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Toucan and VBox can co-exist on the CANbus. CANbus is a multidrop/multi-device interface unlike RS232 which is point-to-point.

If the VBox is fully configurable, then just set it up to match the CAN datastream in the ECU - install SSuite, run SCal, and take a look.

Or if you do get a config ready-to-roll on the VBox and ECU, you can always set up Toucan to match that.
toby69

Post by toby69 »

Thanks for the replies

I did hope VBOX would already have CAN setting etc. They said they are vehicle specific and they have never analysed a Subaru Impreza to get the CAN settings so it would need to be manually configured to suit.

I did have a quick look in SCal but wasn't quite sure what I should be looking for

Anyone able to give me an example of what I might be looking for in SCal

It does now sound quite easy to set up once I know what I'm looking for
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

This has nothing to do with subaru, it's to do with syvecs.

Did you tell vbox that?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

It's not the Subaru CAN settings that will be needed - its for the Syvecs.

Maybe ask them if they have a setup for either a Syvecs or Life Racing ECU...bet they do!
toby69

Post by toby69 »

Yeah I've already said to them it is running a Syvecs ecu and they said the settings would be in the documentation or software I got with it. Unfortunately I bought it second hand so got nothing with it. I have downloaded the manual and the software but just not sure what I'm looking for

I would have thought myself they would already have the settings for Syvecs but they say NO
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And that probably comes back to them both being configurable.

You can have the Syvecs output whatever you want and you can configure the VBox to receive whatever you want.

Obviously this is great when you know what you're doing and how to configure it....not so great when you dont.

But the output config is very easy to find in Datastreams/CAN
toby69

Post by toby69 »

Yeah I think that is exactly it. It now sounds so easy to set up unfortunately I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for to set it up.
If/when I do find what I'm looking for I'm probably going to think 'really is that all there is too it'
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As they offer CAN templates for other ecu's It would probably be easier to look at that to see what the VBox wants to receive, then configure the Syvecs output to match that