S6-I - anyone?

dr_jones

S6-I - anyone?

Post by dr_jones »

I'm giving some serious consideration to the above - from what I understand its a new offering(?) falling somewhere between the S6GP and the S6Plus.

As Per S6GP it doesn't look to support Bosch WB02 and only has single lambda and knock inputs but it a does have a couple of extra inputs over the S6GP and has the 3rd processor as per the S6-Plus.

I wonder if ultimately it's the S6GPs successor.

Anyway has anyone tried one yet / is there any feedback at all?
stevieturbo

Re: S6-I - anyone?

Post by stevieturbo »

For what application ?

And do you need the 3rd processor ? I think it's largely for OEM type applications where it needs to communicate with the car ?

But I'd agree it does seem a possible replacement for the regular S6...that said, plenty of users still wouldnt need the extra features so the S6GP still has a big market.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Its for another Subaru project - and no I do not need a third processor - just poking at the differences really/musing on where it 'fits' in the range as (third processor aside) it seems a bit too close to the S6GP really but as yet I've not see prices.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Prices mentioned at autosport, the s6i was around £200 more than s6gp.

Has the nicer superseal connectors and DBW on-board are probably biggest difference for most users.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Ah cheers - That's useful info on the DBW - I'd not actually realised the S6GP didn't support it out of the box...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

S6GP can do DBW in terms of controls but it needs an external driver box which is operated via a PWM output from the ecu.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Ok - so after some pondering I'm fairly sold on the s6i - price point seems is about right given its feature set.

But there is (for me at least) fly in the ointment. This comes in the shape of the lack of support for the Bosch LSU 4.9 and only supporting the NTK sensors (of which I could only readily justify the LZA-09E1).

This sensor in relation to the Syvecs product seems to have been discussed at length on this forum and this is the high level conclusion I've drawn - please correct me if I'm wrong...

- LZA-09E1 - does not use (at least in conjunction with the Syvecs) a calibration resistor and so needs a bespoke calibration curve generating with the use of 'lab grade' test equipment

- LSU 4.9 - *does* make use of a calibration resistor (at least on a s6+) and so does not need a bespoke calibration curve creating.

For me that requirement to calibrate is a definite detractor to using the NTK units (at least the readily available and not ridiculously priced versions) - I don't really want to have to be dealing with that every time I change wb02s - I don't have or have access to the necessary (expensive) calibration equipment.

All that said I'm now thinking a way round this might be to use an external LSU 4.9 controller such as the Innovate LC2 and stick to my sensor of choice - the LSU 4.9 - I'm really not sure which would be more accurate though - an non calibrated NTK or a LC2 controlling an LSU 4.9.

Thoughts?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Well I've never had a bespoke calibration for any NTK sensors I've used and never had an issue, and no doubt almost all other users do not either.

And they've all been totally reliable.....can you say the same for the Bosch ?

Using an external controller, with no direct control, no fault monitoring ability etc could only be a huge backwards step vs onboard control.

IMO you're worrying over nothing.

At a push if you were really desperate to run a Bosch sensor, you could add one of Tim's expanders. But then you've whacked the price back up again for no good reason ( although it does give you GPS and Accel data which could be of more worth than a Bosch sensor )
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And to add....and as I mentioned on the other thread.

I have 3 widebands on my own car at present.

1 ancient FJO with a L1H1, the original wideband.
1 PLX Devices with an LSU4.9
and the Syvecs with the LZA.

I've had 2 widebands in the same pipe to test to see each reads the same, and of what I have tested there is very little difference between any of them. Not enough that I'd even give it a second thought.

I actually bought the PLX because I thought my old FJO had started reading wrong at a time....but it was not. Over 15 years old and still fine ( albeit with a couple of sensor changes over the years )
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Cheers Stevie - sound points and good info - the words "worrying over nothing" are pretty much what i was hoping for - I've no experience with the LZA in fairness but if its more reliable than the LSU 4.9s that would be a bonus and go somewhat towards the higher initial cost of the sensor (which does seem somewhat on the high side given its a mass produced unit used my some fairly huge OEMs).

-Ed.
Last edited by dr_jones on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.