S6 Plus & S6-I USB logging

dr_jones

S6 Plus & S6-I USB logging

Post by dr_jones »

Just scratching my head on the best fit long term (ie big log) logging solution as I'm fed up with laptop sitting in the passenger footwell and the S6Plus (as well as the S6-I by the look of it have limited onboard mem capacity)

Both the S6 Plus & S6-I have a note that "USB Logging to be supported in the near Future for near unlimited logging of certain parameters" - which assuming it means direct to a connected USB key might just be perfect.

Anyone got any odea when / if this is happening?

Cheers,

Ed.
stevieturbo

Re: S6 Plus & S6-I USB logging

Post by stevieturbo »

With the burst logging, you can make very effective use of that limited memory.

Although yes at the end of the day...it is still limited.

What sort of duration runs etc do you need to do or record ?
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Yeah - I like the burst logging feature very much - being able to bump up the sample rate right when its really needed is great!

And admittedly I'm not making the best use of selective logging or probably rate choice

I'm usually logging around 35 to 45 minute duration - which is coming out at around 1.5Mb - I'm sure I can cut that down and duck under 1Mb. Just need to remember to keep dumping the data or obviously I loose it.

Of course all this would be moot if I could just log straight to a USB stick - rough calc - 32Gb would give me a couple of years worth...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I definitely agree, 1mb is poor and really lets down the ecu's

Although if you needed 45mins, then really streaming it to the laptop is the best bet.

To get 45mins worth you'd really be cutting down what you're logging to a bare minimum
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Definitely the best bet at the moment - but "USB Logging to be supported in the near Future for near unlimited logging of certain parameters" sure would be nice - and by my reckoning the 'near future' must have been and gone by now!!!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I did ask a while back if a Ethernet logger could be made as a standalone device, but dont think it ever went anywhere.

Logging can be streamed to a laptop via ethernet...so it stands to reason it could be possible to run an external logger in a similar fashion.
I'm sure some smart person could probably build something....that ain't me though lol
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

I like that idea - it might help with Windows and Anti Virus updates periodically preventing me connecting too!

Though I'd still prefer the ability to use a USB key directly...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If it was an external logger, it could either log to onboard memory or USB, whatever really.

But it'd basically be a pass thru or something of the ethernet. Or even handier via WiFi.

On that note....not sure if you could configure a laptop just sitting to automatically connect and stream via SData via WiFi, so the laptop is that logger but not needing a physical connection.

I have streamed via WiFi, so that aspect certainly works.