Knock sensor wiring with Knock Link

dr_jones

Knock sensor wiring with Knock Link

Post by dr_jones »

Quick question on knock sensor wiring - can anyone comment on whether it would be OK in theory to connect a (piezoelectric) knock sensor output to BOTH the syvecs (S6Plus in this case) and so that I also have a visual display an old style Knock Link (I know its crude but probably better than nothing...)..?

Slightly concerned about how physically I work the signal wire shielding - but aside from that?

...Alternatively I could just throw a second sensor on for the time being but I'm all for simplicity.

-Ed.
stevieturbo

Re: Knock sensor wiring with Knock Link

Post by stevieturbo »

It's just a microphone, so yes there shouldnt be any major issue pairing them up.

But it would be best to run a sensor for each. And the old Knock Link's did work pretty well.

Would be nice if the Syvecs had an option to trigger a warning light based on knock, although obviously all knock thresholds etc need set up correctly first.

Again, logging is very much your friend here.
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Post by Ryan.g »

stevieturbo wrote: Would be nice if the Syvecs had an option to trigger a warning light based on knock, although obviously all knock thresholds etc need set up correctly first.
You can do this Stevie, Knock Warning Light in Pin assignments ..... Then set the knock retard amount in which the light will turn on in Output Function.
ciphermonk

Post by ciphermonk »

Can the check engine light or some other light within the guage cluster be used for this?

Not sure if this output is something that can be sent over CAN.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

There are many streams that can be sent over CAN...although not specifically a universal knock or no knock.

There is knock retard per cylinder etc etc but it will depend what dash display you have as to what it gives the driver as a visual with regards knock warnings

And yes Ryan I'd forgot about that...although it would be a dedicated function, the light cannot be shared with other features which was something brought up some time ago.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

stevieturbo wrote:It's just a microphone, so yes there shouldnt be any major issue pairing them up.

But it would be best to run a sensor for each. And the old Knock Link's did work pretty well.

Would be nice if the Syvecs had an option to trigger a warning light based on knock, although obviously all knock thresholds etc need set up correctly first.

Again, logging is very much your friend here.

Thanks!
Mark_r33

Post by Mark_r33 »

Regarding the knock light output;

When you set I/O in the Syvecs, am I correct in saying that (when viewed in the full list of I/O);

White = Sound, no bother

Yellow = This will work, but you do realise you've shared it, right?

Red = Come on man, what you trying to do to me?

If this is the case then that Knock light can be combined with the sensor error light, which seems a reasonable combo?

Querying this to ensure I'm understanding things right.

Regarding the OP, I love the idea of a headphone socket on the ecu, like the Adaptronics have. Great way of setting the knock control up and knowing you don't have a bad signal etc. I'd guess you could probably also do this with the wiring to the Syvecs, so long as your AMP didn't bias the signal much at all?