Syvecs waveform converter

dr_jones

Syvecs waveform converter

Post by dr_jones »

I head mention somewhere else in this forum of a Syvecs waveform converter - that would enable me to use an AU input for and ABS sensor (traction control related) - however try as I might I can't actually find such an item on the Syvecs site...

This was the post

http://www.syvecs.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 22f8#p1736

Is this a real thing? If so is ti actually available anywhere?

-Cheers,

-Ed.
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Syvecs waveform converter

Post by TimH »

Don't think they sell them, but something like this is what you need.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

This thread probably better.

http://www.syvecs.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=553

What sensors are you trying to use ?
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Thanks chaps - the sensors I'm wanting to user are ABS sensors on a 1997 V3 Impreza Sti.

Wondering now if there is such a thing as an ABS sensor that i could retrofit that would directly output a Unipolar signal - I'm guessing not but haven't had a chance to look into it as yet.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

If you use a 3-wire hall-effect sensor, they output a nice clean 0-5V squarewave. I doubt you'll find a direct fit sensor, but if you can sort some brackets out it would certainly mean you didn't need the converters.

The ones we do (KA sensors) are around £75 each if I remember right, but you can probably find cheaper ones that will do the job.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

dr_jones wrote:Thanks chaps - the sensors I'm wanting to user are ABS sensors on a 1997 V3 Impreza Sti.

Wondering now if there is such a thing as an ABS sensor that i could retrofit that would directly output a Unipolar signal - I'm guessing not but haven't had a chance to look into it as yet.
What crank/cam sensors are in use ?

ie, can you re-configure the system to allow you to use the VR sensors on AB1-4 and move whatever other items you have there to different inputs ?

The little Siemens jobbie would allow you to use the Subaru sensors and input to any of the other inputs.

Or there are various "tach adapter's" available that do a fairly similar thing taking a high voltage signal and converting it to a more simple square wave lower voltage.

Or Jaycar make a kit intended to adjust pulse numbers to correct speedo's, tacho's etc etc But again you could feed it one type of signal, and it can convert this to a lower voltage or square wave output.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/corrector-spe ... e/p/AA0376
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Thanks - currently using the stock suabaru cam and crank sensors so I can't move them out of the AB inputs to free any up.

Looks like it'll either be a converter or switching to a 3-wire hall-effect sensor as Tim suggests.

I'll have give it some thought....
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

dr_jones wrote:Thanks - currently using the stock suabaru cam and crank sensors so I can't move them out of the AB inputs to free any up.

Looks like it'll either be a converter or switching to a 3-wire hall-effect sensor as Tim suggests.

I'll have give it some thought....
It's actually installed in a Subaru then ? 4wd ? As you mentioned it is traction control related ?

Where you looking to use all 4 wheels...? or cut it down to a lower number of inputs ?

ie, you could use 2 OEM sensors on the other 2 AB inputs and then go hall on the others if you had to use all 4 wheels. Although strictly speaking you dont need all 4 ?

it was also suggested in the other thread, that if you could cap the voltage from the VR sensor, then it might still be able to give a valid signal on the other inputs simply using the top half of the voltage swing, as it will still rise/fall through normal voltage ranges. Just the input may not cope with the big voltage spikes ?
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Hi - Yes indeed its a '97 GC8 Impreza.

I was looking to use all four but yes - and good point - I imagine I could cut that down and potentially just use the rears on the 2x free AB inputs at least as a first pass and see if I get acceptable results -(TBH I've not really run into an issue where front wheel spin was much of a problem.)

Interesting thought on the voltage capping - it makes me wonder - what actually *happens* if a bipolar output is sent to a unipolar input - would the s6P throw ane error I wonder / is there a risk of damaging the unit / etc, etc?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

dr_jones wrote:Hi - Yes indeed its a '97 GC8 Impreza.

I was looking to use all four but yes - and good point - I imagine I could cut that down and potentially just use the rears on the 2x free AB inputs at least as a first pass and see if I get acceptable results -(TBH I've not really run into an issue where front wheel spin was much of a problem.)

Interesting thought on the voltage capping - it makes me wonder - what actually *happens* if a bipolar output is sent to a unipolar input - would the s6P throw ane error I wonder / is there a risk of damaging the unit / etc, etc?

VR sensors can output anything from say 1v right through to hundreds of volts. So yes, I'd say there could be a risk of damage so it isnt something I;d risk directly.

The little yellow Vauxhall relay would be about the easiest and cheapest option ( readily available second hand and as they fit a regular relay socket, could make for a neat install with a suitable relay holder.

Or the Jaycar adaptors would definitely work too...but perhaps a little more awkward. I think all round it would be easier to retain the OEM trigger wheel and sensor and use the adaptors though. Saves changing any fittings, wiring at the wheel end of things and it will have OEM reliability.

Other option for a 2 input setup.

Is monitor front diff speed directly from the gearbox and rear diff speed via the propshaft. Might lose a little resolution that way.

Or if a solid GPS signal is available, that for undriven and use the 2 rear sensors directly into the AB's ?