S8 on R34 gtr issue

XKLABA 1

Re: S8 on R34 gtr issue

Post by XKLABA 1 »

after a long weekend of racing I have finally got to try the new cal file

and got this
36-2 scope log.txt
(209.49 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
it looks almost perfect to me but I still don't have any spark, I'm out of ideas and don't know enough about the computer, the coils have 12v - 5v - 0v in the 3 pins

the little box on the bottom right of SCal goes

0-360
stop-turn
turn-preinject
preinject-crank
360-0 (long tooth gap)
stop

what else can I try ?
XKLABA 1

Post by XKLABA 1 »

ok so I definitely have fuel but still no spark :?

I haven't changed anything on the ignition-coil side of things from when it was last running

the coils are direct R34 GTR factory replacement Spitfires if that makes any difference

all of the grounds on the computer are connected yeah, so it shouldn't matter if one of them isn't connected to anything

I can't understand why there is no spark, the coils where working before I put the S8 on and the computer is syncing and their is fuel getting released

is there anything I can try to get them to fire
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Are the coils 12V trigger or 5V trigger? I would assume 5V, but you never know (and I *don't* know lol).
XKLABA 1

Post by XKLABA 1 »

Hi Tim

That's a good question, I don't know either, I thought they are 5v, how would I find out ?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Google the coilpack part number maybe?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Try doing a pulsed output test on them to see if you can get a spark ? Or at least that would confirm ecu's ability to send signal to the coils.

I know LS coils charge on 5v, and fire on removal of 5v, ie grounding. Although they're quite happy to receive 12v too.

Are you sure they're wired correctly ?
XKLABA 1

Post by XKLABA 1 »

I've tried googling a dozen different phrases to do with R34 GTR coils, I even posted a thread in SAU and have come up empty, I'll see if I can find a part number on the coil somewhere and try that

there is only one wire from the ecu to the coils the other two run through the car from what I can see and the coils have 12v-0v-5v in that order in the plug at the coils when ignition is on, im gonna throw the standard coils in when I get home tonight just incase all 6 have been fried, I know my R32 GTR is 5v, I tested it but they run different coil setup

pulsed out put test, I'll try that aswell,

how would I change it to 12v trigger ?

from the last scope trace this thing should be running or at least firing yeah ?

so is there any ign cuts that might be stopping the coils ?

I'm still getting TPS error coming up, would that stop it ?

thank you guys for the ideas, I'll have a go at them
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Post by Ryan.g »

The R34 Coils fire on a 5v TTL Signal from the ECU

Can you get teamviewer loaded up so a member of the Support team can log in and go over the car live to Assist more

Support@Syvecs.co.uk
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

In output tests

If you do the test, best unplug the coils and check for the actual voltage changes on the trigger wire( need a meter with duty, pw or a scope really. Meter across trigger wire and ground )

Although if you go to Ignition Pulse Request and from 0, hold the +/- key, whilst the +/- is pressed it will pulse the output, and you could check for a spark at the plug whilst doing this.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

So to check.

You have +12v, GND and TTL signal to the coilpack?

The ignition was set to normal, it needs to be set to TTL if the coils are wired like a factory coil (last time I did R34 coils I didn't wire them as per factory and instead comonned the +12v and trigger, using a high level ignition output on the ground terminal of the coil to fire it).

You need to go into IO Configuration->Required Spark Output Configuration

Set it to TTL 1-6

Device->Program.

Remove coilpacks and place on engine with plugs in for testing, usual safety rules apply, ensure plugs grounded, no fuel sitting on engine etc.

Go to Output Testing->Ignition Output Base States and ensure all are OFF
Go to Output testing->Ignition Output Pulse Duration and set 1-6 to 3ms
Go to Output testing->Input / Output test mode and set to "enabled"
Go to Output testing->Ignition pulse request In outputs 1-6 you can test each coil individually by using + or - key or by any other method of changing the number, any change will send a single pulse request. Keeping your finger on the + or - key will pulse and fire the respective output repeatedly.

There is a change that the coils have already been blown.