Which ECU for a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX?

Jasper K

Which ECU for a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX?

Post by Jasper K »

Hi there!

Which ECU would be most suitable for a 2006 Impreza WRX? Would it be the S6PnP or S6GP version. What is exactly meant by "no coil drivers on board" with the S6GP? If there are no coil drivers how can the ignition work?

Pat, If I remember correctly it was you who once said to me that the Subaru DBW was quite slow compared to DBC. If that's the case would it be much better to convert back to DBC and go from there or has the DBW gained speed using the Solaris ECUs?

Really hoping forward to see any of these ECUs released for use on Subarus as I'm really interested in using one.

Cheers,

Jasper K.
Taiwan.
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: Which ECU for a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX?

Post by pat »

Hiya Jasper!

The S6PnP would be the most suitable for your car Jasper, there are one or two gotchas with the MY06 that means the S6GP will be less than optimal (read: there will be some additional interface hardware on the S6PnP).

Where it says "no coil drivers" it means that the ECU cannot directly drive ignition coils, rather it is designed to drive ingitors or coils with integral ignitors, and as such the output is a push-pull driver which can run off +5V or +12V but has no appreciable current sourcing or sinking ability, enough to drive the base / gate of a power transistor but not enough to fire a coil direct. None of the Subarus have direct drive, they all run ignitors or transistorised coils, so the S6 can directly interface with these, whereas the S4 and S8 would require new wiring direct to the coils on MY92-98 and new wiring AND new coils on MY99-present.

The DBW is indeed slower than a manual cable pull, but the S6 can drive the DBW somewhat more aggressively than the OEM ECU despite the lack of an H bridge driver. It tracks pedal position quite well, but because it is unipolar drive, throttle closing is slower than it would be with an H bridge driver, so it may be that the S6PnP may include the necessary H bridge driver, only actual testing will reveal whether it is necessary or not.

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Jasper K

Post by Jasper K »

Howdy Pat!

Good to hear that the DBW tracks throttle position well. It's one of my biggest gripes with the OEM ECU. Unless you setup the requested torque table from scratch with A LOT of tweaking I find it is almost impossible to keep a certain Throttle plate % when doing partial throttle pulls to redline. I've had a look at the software and must say it looks awesome! So many features. What would be the approximate release schedule for 2006/2007 WRX/STI models??

Cheers,

Jasper.
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Jasper,

The MY06- DBW is due for wiring schedule validation, connectors are in stock, just a case of testing on a vehicle. From the point of having validated the wiring schedule to having PnP hardware is normally about 6 weeks. Will keep you posted on progress :)

Best regards,

Pat.
dynamix

Post by dynamix »

pat wrote:Jasper,

The MY06- DBW is due for wiring schedule validation, connectors are in stock, just a case of testing on a vehicle. From the point of having validated the wiring schedule to having PnP hardware is normally about 6 weeks. Will keep you posted on progress :)

Best regards,

Pat.
Hmmm testing on a vehicle .... :D ;)

Sounds great news.