Shell V-Power Flex Fuel reading

johnfelstead

Shell V-Power Flex Fuel reading

Post by johnfelstead »

What are people seeing as the fuel composition on the Flex fuel sensor when using Shell V-Power?

I am seeing 12.1, which with an ethanol content of max 5% for V-Power seems odd.

Is this normal?
MiSTI

Re: Shell V-Power Flex Fuel reading

Post by MiSTI »

I am seeing around 4,6% with our 100oct fuel in Austria, which should be around 5% too.
johnfelstead

Post by johnfelstead »

That doesn't sound right for the one i am looking at then.

Anyone seen this before?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Havent there been threads before where people seen less than 85%...when using proper 85 race fuel ?

These sensors are not actually measuring ethanol content though and can be skewed by other factors....I guess as long as readings are consistent for the fuel you use, then it's ok ? If suddenly there is a large deviation..there is a problem ?
johnfelstead

Post by johnfelstead »

It would not be a reliable sensor if you could get such large discrepancies between sensors, so i don't buy that as being the case stevie. It's too dangerous to have them being so far out of spec and with the millions out there in use, they wouldn't get away with it.

I read the threads you mention about various E85 fuel readings, and that looked far more a case of suppliers not providing the correct grade they were advertising, than a sensor reading issue.

So i still think something is not right on this particular setup. If the installer had wired it to +5V rather than +12V would it read anything at all?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So it's a new install, never run before ?

rather than something where you are seeing discrepancies ?

I'm sure you've seen this video that shows how water can massively skew readings should there be any moisture in the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DZhLjwsWVY
johnfelstead

Post by johnfelstead »

It's been on the car for ages but never used actively. I'm looking at the car and map for the first time and noting it's not reading correctly, so i need to work out what's going on before using it to reference when using a meth mix flex fuel setup.

The car has never used Methanol or Ethanol, it's just been run on Shell V-Power, so there should be no issues with water contamination etc.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Dumb question, but is the sensor setup right, with the correct 0% and 100% frequencies (usually 50Hz-150Hz, but don't know which sensor you're using)?
johnfelstead

Post by johnfelstead »

Hi Tim,

yes all the Cal file settings for the sensor are correct.

I havent checked the wiring yet, as i dont have the car with me, but would it read if only fed with 5V?

Sensor was supplied by Scoobyclinic about 4 years ago.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

johnfelstead wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 am Hi Tim,

yes all the Cal file settings for the sensor are correct.

I havent checked the wiring yet, as i dont have the car with me, but would it read if only fed with 5V?

Sensor was supplied by Scoobyclinic about 4 years ago.
Sorry for not replying sooner - not been getting any email notifications from this forum since they updated it!

I have just tried a sensor on the bench and it works down to around 4.5V, and the frequency of the output remains the same at all supply voltages.