paddle shift problem

firepete

paddle shift problem

Post by firepete »

my car has developed a gear shift problem . stated to get a few shift problems on a test session .and next time i went to go out i could not select gears mainly down shifts . since then i did find a suspect upshift limit switch that i have changed but problem is now i can select up shifts fine. but unable to get the gearbox to down shift and stay in the lower gear . it operates the actuator but drops back to the original gear . i have checked stroke and it seems good .nothing has moved. i have check air pressure is ok .i can change up and down no problem by hand on the lever .is it possible some thing in the ecu has got corrupted and causing the gear not to select properly . it seems strange as it works ok manually i cant see what would cause this .
i have also checked the gear pot seems ok and recalibrated just in case
firepete

Re: paddle shift problem

Post by firepete »

i have just removed rear gearbox cover and oil and gears look perfect . that is with out removing any thing yet..then i remembered the air shift solenoids have a manual push button override .so i have tried this and gears select perfect but they dont stay in gear on the paddle and ecu control .
anyone have any ideas
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

You dont mention what car, what gearbox, what shift mechanism etc etc....

You're not giving a lot to go on.

And has it ever worked correctly ? If so, for how long ? ie was it ever deemed a good working setup, or is it all new ?
firepete

Post by firepete »

sorry it hewland ftr in a mygale ff200 using pneumatic actuator from paint ball bottle driven from ecu . set up been same for 2 years with not problems . started to have a couple of missed shifts on a test session last week . and when went to go out on next run had trouble with selecting reverse then 1st gear . thn lined up on start line . i could not select neutral. then could only go up the gear and could not select downshifts .

packed up for the day and tried again at home . double checked the air pressure [did fine a sticky up shift limit switch so change this ] i then calibrated the gear box pot . tried the gears and up shift were working fine but downshift go in and pop straight out again .

i have used the manual button on my solenoid and gear work fine also manually on lever .but on the ecu controlled paddles the actuator seem to go in on upshifts but wont go down the box .it operates but returns to what ever gear it was in .

i have done quick inspection of gearbox and oil and gears look like new . seems very strange

seems like the quicker operation of the paddles does not give it time to stay in gear. some one thought it might be gearbox but im not so sure .
im going to try recalibration the pot again tomorrow just in case it moved some how
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Are you logging air pressure ?

Is the actuator itself healthy, any adjustment on it ?
Sure there are no leaks on the actuating system during a shift ?

If it's a sequential box which I presume it is....once in gear the dogs themselves should pretty much ensure it stays in gear, as well as the actual hub/drum mech itself.

You say you're re-calibrating the gear pot.....but if the in gear voltages have changed....more to the point, why have they changed if the sensor itself as not moved ?
firepete

Post by firepete »

YES HEWLAND FTR gearbox i only recalibrated just in case but voltages was pretty close .

i have looked closer and i think the lever is bouncing out and mechanically upshifting again . i found a setting in the gear shift /down shift /down shift positive return time f[gear]they are set to 15ms i just changed to 10 ms and i can up and down shift ok .
firepete

Post by firepete »

gearbox striped down and no faults found .
firepete

Post by firepete »

i have lowered the settings in the downshift from 15ms to 10 ms and this has sorted the problem [downshift positive return time]
firepete

Post by firepete »

all seemed to work in anger .