E36 M3 Coil Packs Syvecs S8

Dave_TPS

E36 M3 Coil Packs Syvecs S8

Post by Dave_TPS »

Hi There,

Has anybody run the BMW coil-on-plug E36 M3 type coils with the S8, or similar?

I'm assuming its as OEM connections, +12, 0V, and IGN signal via the ECU using TTL.

Sorry this is my first post, I've read various bits on the net regarding pullup resistors, and I'm finding little information about the operation of these coils specifically.

Many thanks for any input or help in advance,

Thanks,

Dave,
Slowie

Re: E36 M3 Coil Packs Syvecs S8

Post by Slowie »

Not sure if there were differences in various parts of the world, but the E36 M3s I've been involved with needed external ignitors when the chosen ECU didn't have them built in, so you will need to have coil output type set to conventional?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As above, you'd really need to know if your specific coils do have amps built in, or there are some fitted elsewhere on the vehicle.

3 wire plugs...could be either really. Probably TTL...but without testing you couldnt say for sure. E36 is old enough they could be inductive....or TTL.

2 wire, almost certainly conventional inductive coils.

4 wires, almost certainly TTL....but still not fully guaranteed.

Can you monitor current or voltage on the trigger wire from ecu to each coil ? Ideally with a scope on a running vehicle. Then you could tell for sure what they are.
Dave_TPS

Post by Dave_TPS »

Thankyou for the input guys, much obliged.

Unfortunately, the engine is in a race car, with none of the factory wiring or ECU.

3-Pin coils on the engine X 6. Wiring diagram states each coil fed with +12ign, 0v, and the third connected directly to the ECU.

Wish I could get hold of a similar car to scope out. But can't find one locally unfortunately.

I assume TTL, but I don't like assumption of course.

Dave
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Dave_TPS wrote:Thankyou for the input guys, much obliged.

Unfortunately, the engine is in a race car, with none of the factory wiring or ECU.

3-Pin coils on the engine X 6. Wiring diagram states each coil fed with +12ign, 0v, and the third connected directly to the ECU.

Wish I could get hold of a similar car to scope out. But can't find one locally unfortunately.

I assume TTL, but I don't like assumption of course.

Dave
Again....I guess the only simple test is to measure current on the trigger wire.

Apply 12v and gnd to the relevant wires, then apply 12v to the trigger wire ( or 5v would be more typical for a TTL setup, but higher voltages are usually fine too. )
Ideally configure coil/lead/plug etc so it can actually charge and fire

Obviously dont hold this on for ages or you might burn the coil out. But a second should be tons of time to see if it pulls any significant current.

If it does pull current then it'll, be inductive.

If it doesnt then it'll be TTL.

Although I think also with a multimeter, you shouldnt get any reading for resistance between the trigger and other terminals on a TTL coil too ? As you'd need to pass through the transistor that switches the unit.

Whereas an inductive, there'll be the resistance of the primary windings.
jalai

Post by jalai »

If the coil look like this... (forget that gap :mrgreen: ). What is coil part number?
It's not a TTL drive.
You need High current ECU output, example S8 > IGBT (coil direct).

Primary current (green) @ 4ms Dwell (14V).