ECU Check

For Subaru Technical Chat
sshinx1

ECU Check

Post by sshinx1 »

Does anyone know if the ECU can be sent anywhere to be checked, believe there my be an intermittent fault within the ecu and would like to have it checked over, its an S6 if this makes a difference.

thanks
stevieturbo

Re: ECU Check

Post by stevieturbo »

sshinx1 wrote:Does anyone know if the ECU can be sent anywhere to be checked, believe there my be an intermittent fault within the ecu and would like to have it checked over, its an S6 if this makes a difference.

thanks
Contact your local dealer, they can be returned to Syvecs for checking.

But what is the actual or perceived problem ?

Did something occur that may have lead to damage ?

has it ever ran correctly ? How old is it, what vehicle etc ?
sshinx1

Post by sshinx1 »

I had a post up a few months ago about oil sensor issue, still the same problem with the syvecs not letting the car start out starting then cutting out.

All started after gearbox was out for syncos change and a replacement clutch, was fine then developing an issue with cutting out with low oil pressure(has been checked numerous times with a manual gauge pressure is fine) senor has all been changed with new a new one twice and all wiring checked to and from ecu doesn't seem to be any problems there.

The funny thing is will start every time from cold and can be driven with no issue until stopped, once the car is warm the issue arises either doesn't start or starts and cuts out straight away with oil pressure warning flashing on toucan until it cools down again.

if you have any suggestions it would be a great help

its a type R race car, which has a S6 syvecs (bought brand new 3 years ago) and a toucan display,

Previously had no running problems.

Thanks
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

a datalog of the problem including oil pressure would be helpful.

And there is only one setting within the ecu relating to oil pressure and the engine starting. So if it is a starting issue relating to this, then adjust this threshold to allow starting.

Exactly what oil pressure sensor are you using ?

the chances of it being a faulty ecu are very very slim, even more so as you seem to suggest it only applies to one sensor. If you felt that particular input may have a problem, just move the sensor to a different spare input.

Or disable oil pressure monitoring altogether to test

When it stops after running, it is actually hitting the safety trip, or doing something else ?
sshinx1

Post by sshinx1 »

we are using kasensors

Yes it seems to be hitting the safety trip for oil pressure and cutting out.

I was thinking of disabling or lowering the oil pressure trip but just wanted a bit of advise before adjusting anything that could effect the map, i haven't much experience with Syvecs software but I am brave and confident with vagcom, launch , delphi etc so i'm sure i should be able to use it.

Reason we wanted to test the ecu was just to rule it out, but perhaps moving it to a spare input would be better is there anyway i can check for spare inputs?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Assuming the ECU is configured correctly for the sensor, then neither a failed input nor a failed/failing/intermittent sensor is likely to cause a trip. The ECU can detect such a failed sensor and will mark it as such, and not take any account of its (erroneous) readings.

I would think your engine probably is suffering from oil pressure lower than the trip value.

You probably need to bite on the bullet and get SSuite installed, then connect up the laptop to see what's going on.
sshinx1

Post by sshinx1 »

Bob Rawle set it up and has mapped it numerous times, so dont think issue is with the sensor set up was no previous problems.

Don't believe its a issue with low oil pressure as manual gauge shows its making correct oil pressure.

I have ssuite installed if you could tell me what i need to log I can do that.

Thanks
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I would start by checking what the oil pressure trip is set to.

If you want to email it to me (as the probable supplier of the KA sensor to you, either directly or via Bob!) I am happy to take a look. TimH @ JTi.uk.com

Otherwise you simply need to set up logging and make sure oil pressure is included. It probably is, so you may simply be able to grab a log from the ECU that's already there and take look at it.
sshinx1

Post by sshinx1 »

Thanks much appreciated,

I will try and get the log and go from there, just a quick question, the car has a main cut off switch which means there is no permanent power at the ecu would this cause any problems storing the previous data logs?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Nope - logs are stored in non-volatile memory (i.e. doesn't need battery to keep the logs).