That syncing feeling

For Subaru Technical Chat
Motoka

That syncing feeling

Post by Motoka »

Subaru Type R with 2.35 and newage Sti heads. Getting a sync fault due to cam error at around 6000 rpm. Sync log attached. I'm struggling to understand the sync log as it appears both the crank and cam signal virtually disappear after looking pretty strong or is this a response to the loss of sync? Cam trigger high is 4 v and low is -2v and filter is off. Ignore in 720 is also switched off. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
3 march 16.txt
(260.13 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
stevieturbo

Re: That syncing feeling

Post by stevieturbo »

I dont fully understand he settings...

but why would the low threshold be set at -2v ?

Would it not be more normal for this to be around 0v ? ie when it crosses below this a trigger is recognised ? I doubt it's anything to do with the problem, as certainly on that trace the cam signal looks good and strong.

Also, that's a starting sync log....not from when the actual fault occurred ( and TBH still not sure how to locate the sync logs from such problems occurring )

Presumably you're on a newer 36-2-2 crankwheel with this car and manual cam checklist enabled ? Maybe some settings there are going awry at higher rpm's

Given the 36-2-2 crank, you could easily select to ignore cam once in 720 sync
Motoka

Post by Motoka »

Thanks I was getting noise previously so Paul advise to drop the low trigger settings a bit.

Lol that makes sense if it is the starting sync log!

I will see if I can do another that captures the event.

I am on the newer G11 crank trigger wheel. Are there any performance disadvantages of ignoring in 720?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Motoka wrote:Thanks I was getting noise previously so Paul advise to drop the low trigger settings a bit.

Lol that makes sense if it is the starting sync log!

I will see if I can do another that captures the event.

I am on the newer G11 crank trigger wheel. Are there any performance disadvantages of ignoring in 720?
Ultimately it means there is no re-checking of phase...and TBH maybe it would be nice if there was an ignore function above an rpm threshold for "noisy" setups...where re-checking could occur again once at lower loads instead of just ignore altogether.

That said, once it is all sync'd up there shouldnt really be any need to look at the cam again unless there is an issue with the crank signal

I've run cars both ways, both not ignoring and ignoring ( was told dont ignore with the older 6 tooth wheel though ) and never had any problems.

If it's giving hassle though and doesnt seem to be an easy fix, I'd just ignore it.
Motoka

Post by Motoka »

Thanks. I managed to pull another sync log (from the actual event this time :-). Replaced the cam sensor which appears to be the source of the problem and no more sync issues :-)
Attachments
4 march.txt
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

cam trigger certainly threw a wobbler there !

Good job it's sorted.