3.0R Question/Map request

For Subaru Technical Chat
JamesD

3.0R Question/Map request

Post by JamesD »

Hello,

I'm looking at putting an S8 on a 3.0R motor (EZ30R). I'm not terribly familiar with the G10/G11/G12 terms since they don't seem to be used much in the US. Would this be a G11 motor? Does anyone know if the H6 G11 cam/crank is setup in the same way as the H4 motors of the same vintage? I know the manual cam/crank checklist and an oscilloscope can be used to set everything up but it would just be so much more convenient to be able to choose one of the pre-programmed settings.

Long shot but...does anyone happen to have a base map they would be wiling to share just to look at?

Thanks!
Jim
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: 3.0R Question/Map request

Post by pat »

Jim,

last time I looked at the EZ30* engines, they used a crank trigger pattern that is sufficiently different from the EJ and EG series engine as not to be compatible with any of those, and also sufficiently "odd" that it would not be covered by the generic patterns either. For this reason, if there are any EZ30* engines running out there on a Syvecs then it will be with an after market trigger wheel. The rest of the engine is supported - and we do have the "oddball" EZ30* pattern on file, just not got round to implementing it yet because I don't recall anyone asking for it yet. Now that it looks like it will be needed, I'll pop it back on the ToDo list - IIRC it is sufficiently "unique" that we can get 360 sync off it and it is a 36-N-in-X-groups type pattern so should be fairly straightforward.

Cheers,

Pat.
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

Thanks for the fast response Pat!

Very interesting. There isn't all that much information about the trigger setup online. I have read that the EZ30D/EZ30R share the same crank trigger wheel, but have different cam triggers which makes sense given the R has AVCS. Do you know if the cam triggers are different than the EJ motors with AVCS?

Jim
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Different ages of EJ AVCS motors have different cam trigger arrangements.

Mainly pre DBW vs DBW though
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Gents,

First an apology for some incorrect information. It looks like the pattern *IS* supported and I had suffered a brain fart. Here's how to do it :)

The pattern is 36-2-2-2 with the following gaps :

18x 10 degrees
1x 30 degrees
9x 10 degrees
2x 30 degrees

We can trigger off this with the Single Gap strategy *WITH* gap validation. This will search for a unique sequence of short-long-short gaps and that occurs only once in this pattern - the last 10 degree gap before the lone 30 degree gap and then the first 10 degree gap after the lone 30 degree gap. The two lots of 30 degree gaps would not meet the search criteria and would not be used as a datum.

There is a requirement that in the gap definitions, the unique long gap must be entry #1 and entry #0 must be a short gap. So we need to slide this pattern into the correct sequence :

30 gap definitions, with angles:
10,30,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,30,30,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10

Minimum gaps

Maximum gaps
15,45,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,45,45,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15

Gap Ratio and Gap Validation Ratio should be fine at around 2.0

The reference is the tooth after the tooth after the tooth that ends the gap (one ends the gap, the second validates the gap by proving it is short again, then the last tooth is the reference). In this case it is the third tooth in the group of 9 equal gaps. Legend has it that TDC is the fifth tooth in the group of 9 equal gaps, which would be the fourth gap and therefore 2 gaps on from the reference tooth. That would place the reference tooth at 20 degrees BTDC so the reference angle would be 340 degrees. Hopefully I got that right :)

The EJ motors use 4-X teeth for the AVCS angle measurement. On the G11 engines X is zero (no missing teeth) and they get the phase information from a different sensor. On the later engines (late-G11 / G12?) X is one tooth and it is possible to get phase from the AVCS. On the EZ engines it looks like the cams might be 3 equally spaced teeth. That being the case, they are 240 degrees apart and not matter what you do you always end up with 2 in one phase and 1 on the other so you can get phase from this as long as the AVCS doesn't swing it so far as to move one tooth from one phase into the other - if this happens then disable phase verification in 720 - most cams park themselves until VVT solenoids are enabled so they should be in a well defined position prior to AVCS operation.

Hope this helps,

Pat.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I thought the DBW EJ's with only hall sensors on cams had 3 teeth on the cam ?

No idea with the dual in/ex AVCS has.
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

stevieturbo wrote:I thought the DBW EJ's with only hall sensors on cams had 3 teeth on the cam ?
pat wrote:The EJ motors use 4-X teeth for the AVCS angle measurement.
pat wrote:On the later engines (late-G11 / G12?) X is one tooth
By my reckoning, four minus one leaves three :P
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Just checked on my calculator, and you're correct ! lol
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

stevieturbo wrote:Just checked on my calculator, and you're correct ! lol
Let me see what my calculator makes of it.....

4 enter
1: 4
1 enter
2: 4
1: 1

minus
1: 3

Yep, it looks good to me too :)

As for quad AVCS, the inlets are the same but the exhausts have only two teeth if memory serves.
west_minist

Post by west_minist »

JamesD wrote:Hello,

I'm looking at putting an S8 on a 3.0R motor (EZ30R). I'm not terribly familiar with the G10/G11/G12 terms since they don't seem to be used much in the US. Would this be a G11 motor? Does anyone know if the H6 G11 cam/crank is setup in the same way as the H4 motors of the same vintage? I know the manual cam/crank checklist and an oscilloscope can be used to set everything up but it would just be so much more convenient to be able to choose one of the pre-programmed settings.

Long shot but...does anyone happen to have a base map they would be wiling to share just to look at?

Thanks!
Jim
I am glad to see someone is doing this. I look forward to your updates.